Pasta with Sausage and Butternut Squash
with side salad
With butternut squash roasted ahead of time, you won't believe how quickly this elegant meal comes together. Crisp fresh sage leaves in oil to start the dish with herb flavor and then crumble the leaves over top at the end.
Pasta with Sausage and Butternut Squash:
- Pasta, any fun gluten-free shape like fusilli or bowties - 8 oz
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sage, fresh - 8 leaves
- Italian sausage, loose and raw - 8 oz
- Almond flour / meal - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Roasted Butternut Squash (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
Balsamic Arugula Salad with Apple:
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Apples - 1 , chopped
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Pasta - Cook pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Chop apples.
- Heat cooking oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add sage leaves and cook on both sides until they stop sizzling and are very crisp, ~ 6 minutes total. Use a slotted spoon to remove sage leaves and set them aside.
- To remaining oil in pan, add shallots and saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Add sausage and saute, breaking it apart until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in flour / almond meal until no dry spots remain.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer until a creamy sauce forms, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash until heated through. Add pasta and toss to combine.
- In a large serving bowl, combine apples and arugula. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Crumble crispy sage over pasta and top with cheese. Enjoy pasta with salad on the side.