Pasta with Sausage and Butternut Squash
with side salad
- Pasta, any fun gluten-free shape like fusilli or bowties - 8 oz
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz, grated
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sage, fresh - 8 leaves
- Italian sausage, loose and raw - 8 oz
- Almond flour / meal - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Roasted Butternut Squash (leftover from Tuesday) - ~3 cups
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Apples - 1, chopped
- Arugula - 6 oz
- Pasta - Cook pasta according to package directions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Chop apples.
- Heat cooking oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add sage leaves and cook on both sides until they stop sizzling and are very crisp, ~ 6 minutes total. Use a slotted spoon to remove sage leaves and set them aside.
- To remaining oil in pan, add shallots and saute until tender, ~2 minutes.
- Add sausage and saute, breaking it apart until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in flour / almond meal until no dry spots remain.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer until a creamy sauce forms, ~2 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash until heated through. Add pasta and toss to combine.
- In a large serving bowl, combine apples and arugula. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- Crumble crispy sage over pasta and top with cheese. Enjoy pasta with salad on the side.
Very good! Boyfriend LOVED it. :)0 Helpful
YUM. I used spicy sausage. Could use more sage next time! Also too much oil before the sausage, so my sauce was oily.0 Helpful
Very tasty, and a good use of butternut squash. Really useful to make the squash ahead of time.0 Helpful
Made this twice around the holidays, and it was a huge hit both times! Prepping the butternut squash ahead of time sped things up significantly.0 Helpful
This was quick and easy once the butternut squash is cooked, and really tasty!0 Helpful
I used egg noodles instead and no parm to make this dairy free. It was fantastic!0 Helpful