Indonesian Fried Rice
with peanuts / green beans / fried egg
- Green beans - 1 lb, chopped into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Jalapeno (opt) - 1, diced
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Eggs - 4
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/4 cup
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - for serving
- Green beans / Bell peppers / Jalapenos / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine green beans and bell peppers in one container. Store jalapenos, ginger, and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine jalapenos, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then green beans and bell peppers to heated oil. Saute until beans start to darken and char in spots. Add stir-fry sauce to the pan and cover with a lid or foil. Steam beans and peppers, covered, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in rice. Toss everything together and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove rice from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan with second part of cooking oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into heated oil. Cook eggs on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides.
- Stir lime juice and peanuts into fried rice.
- Serve eggs over fried rice with some hot sauce on top if you’d like. Enjoy!
Loved the taste. Nice and easy to prepare. Was light on the portioning, and would have doubled the protein and rice.0 Helpful
Forgot the peanut sauce but it was still enjoyable. Used bone in thighs and it was fun for the kids to eat with their hands. Tasty marinade.0 Helpful
Delicious peanut sauce which went well with everything. The store didn't have green beans so used broccoli instead which worked well.0 Helpful
Tasted ok but wouldn’t make again.0 Helpful
Wow. I think this is my favorite cook smarts meal yet! Randomly picked it from the archives to use up some chicken. We all loved it (including 18 month old). Left out jalapenos for our preference. Will 100% be making this again.0 Helpful
Didn’t have fish sauce, so used miso instead. My whole family loved it.0 Helpful