Indonesian Fried Rice
with peanuts / green beans / fried egg
This Indonesian-inspired fried rice is elevated with the flavors of ginger, garlic, honey, and lime juice. Peanuts stirred in at the end give it a nice crunch. It was a meal that got high reviews back when we first featured it in 2018.
Indonesian Fried Rice:
- Green beans - 1 lb , chopped into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , diced
- Jalapeno (opt) - 1 , diced
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Eggs - 4
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Peanuts, roasted and unsalted - 1/4 cup
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - for serving
- Green beans / Bell peppers / Jalapenos / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Combine green beans and bell peppers in one container. Store jalapenos, ginger, and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Combine jalapenos, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then green beans and bell peppers to heated oil. Saute until beans start to darken and char in spots. Add stir-fry sauce to the pan and cover with a lid or foil. Steam beans and peppers, covered, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove cover and stir in rice. Toss everything together and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove rice from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick pan with second part of cooking oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into heated oil. Cook eggs on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides.
- Stir lime juice and peanuts into fried rice.
- Serve eggs over fried rice with some hot sauce on top if you’d like. Enjoy!