Indonesian Ginger Chicken Thighs
with cashew sauce / sauteed green beans / cauliflower rice
Smarts: If you live in a climate where you are still grilling this time of year, check out the previous version of the recipe for grilling instructions.
- Green beans - 1 lb, chopped into 1” / 2.5 cm pieces
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower florets - 12 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Foil - for cooking
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp, grated
- Cashew butter - 1/4 cup
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - to taste
- Cauliflower rice - (Skip if rice was made ahead for Monday.) Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans / Jalapenos / Ginger (for sauce and chicken) / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store green beans and jalapenos in separate containers. Store ginger for sauce in one container. Combine ginger and garlic for chicken in a fourth container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Combine ginger (portion for chicken), garlic, aminos (portion for chicken), lime juice, honey (portion for chicken), and fish sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Place chicken in a baking dish. (Note: Line baking dish with some foil first to prevent the marinade from sticking while it bakes.) Combine chicken with marinade. Tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Make cashew sauce - Combine ginger (portion for sauce), cashew butter, water (portion for sauce), honey (portion for sauce), vinegar (portion for sauce), and aminos (portion for sauce) in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat, stirring every 20 seconds, until sauce is creamy and smooth. Stir in some hot sauce if you’d like. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Season the top of the chicken thighs with some salt and pepper.
- When oven is heated, transfer baking dish with chicken and marinade to oven. Roast, uncovered, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F / 74C degrees, 25 to 30 minutes.
- When chicken is nearly finished cooking, heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then green beans to heated oil. Saute until beans start to darken and char in spots. Add water (portion for beans) to the pan and cover the beans with a lid or foil. Steam beans, covered, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover green beans and add jalapenos and vinegar (portion for green beans). Saute for 1 minute more. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Give cashew sauce a stir. If stored in the refrigerator, you may need to warm it in the microwave for a few seconds and / or add some water to soften it.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve chicken over cauliflower rice with green beans on the side. Enjoy with cashew sauce over top.
Loved the taste. Nice and easy to prepare. Was light on the portioning, and would have doubled the protein and rice.0 Helpful
Forgot the peanut sauce but it was still enjoyable. Used bone in thighs and it was fun for the kids to eat with their hands. Tasty marinade.0 Helpful
Delicious peanut sauce which went well with everything. The store didn't have green beans so used broccoli instead which worked well.0 Helpful
Tasted ok but wouldn’t make again.0 Helpful
Wow. I think this is my favorite cook smarts meal yet! Randomly picked it from the archives to use up some chicken. We all loved it (including 18 month old). Left out jalapenos for our preference. Will 100% be making this again.0 Helpful
Didn’t have fish sauce, so used miso instead. My whole family loved it.0 Helpful