with spinach / basmati rice
Chicken Korma is a classic Indian curry with chicken and potatoes simmered in rich gravy. A quick spice mix infuses the dish with flavor and color, and a topping of yogurt gives it a tart, fresh finish. This meal was first featured in 2017.
Indian Spice Mix:
- Curry powder, mild - 2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 1 3/4 cups
- Rice, uncooked basmati - 1 cup
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves , diced
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp , grated
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , cubed
- Potatoes, russet - 3/4 lb , peeled and cubed
- Cilantro - 3 Tbsp , leaves torn
- Butter - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp (sub ghee)
- Indian spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Make rice - Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low, and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make Indian spice mix - Combine curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt, chili powder, and cumin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Shallots / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces, tenderize and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Potatoes / Cilantro - Prep as directed and store separately. If not cooking immediately, soak potatoes in water to prevent them from turning brown. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add first part of butter and then chicken to melted butter. Saute until chicken is nearly cooked through (it will finish cooking in the stock), 3 to 4 minutes. Set chicken aside and return Dutch oven to heat.
- Add second part of butter and then garlic, shallots, and ginger to melted butter. Saute for 1 minute and then add spice mix. Saute until spices are toasted and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add potatoes, stock, and coconut milk and give it a stir. Place the lid on the Dutch oven and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, add chicken back to pan and then stir in spinach. Continue cooking, covered, until spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat and stir in lime juice. Taste and season with some additional salt and lime juice, if needed.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in microwave.
- Serve korma over rice with cilantro and yogurt on top. Enjoy!