Red Curry Chicken Ramenwith snow peas / bell peppers
A big bowl of spicy ramen is great for cooler weather - it is guaranteed to warm you right up! This version starts with a quick homemade stock made from a variety of aromatics and is finished with colorful vegetables.
Smarts: We love quick-cooking Instant Ramen for these noodle bowls. Just buy those inexpensive packets of Instant Ramen (any flavor) and discard the seasoning packets before adding them to the soup.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, cubed
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, finely diced (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red curry paste - 1 Tbsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Snap peas or snow peas, fresh or frozen - 12 oz
- Noodles, ramen - 6 oz (use Instant Ramen, just discard the seasoning packet)
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers / Shallots / Lemongrass / Ginger / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers, shallots, lemongrass, and ginger. Store jalapenos in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok or Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, shallots, lemongrass, and ginger and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Add chicken and red curry paste and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes to get chicken started cooking.
- Pour in stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 4 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While soup simmers, tear leaves off cilantro stems.
- Add snap peas and ramen noodles to soup and simmer until noodles are tender (check the package, but this should only take 2 to 3 minutes for Instant Ramen).
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season soup with some more fish sauce or a pinch of salt if you’d like.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with jalapenos and cilantro. Enjoy!
This meal has 33 reviews
This was so tasty! My family loved it.
Our toddlers loved this. I cooked the noodles for 2 min and then added then snap peas for just 1 min. Next time I would double the curry paste for more flavor.
Everyone commented that they liked it and there were moments of silence where everyone was simply eating. I could have made it boiling less, as the time it took me to prep and add the snap peas had the noodles soggy.
Amazing flavors but needed more liquid. The noodles get soggy if leaving for leftover, so in the future I will separate out extra portions before adding noodles.
Loved the fresh lemongrass and ginger in this! Very aromatic. Noodles did get soggy in leftovers.
I added a little more liquid (extra half cup of stock to use up what I had, and full can of coconut milk rather than 1c) - should have upped the curry paste too, but I didnt and it was a little bland. Made it intending to have leftovers so I cooked half the noodles in water (not in the soup) and will cook the other half of the noodles next time. And used frozen broccoli instead of snow peas.