Red Curry Chicken Ramen
with snow peas / bell peppers
A big bowl of spicy ramen is great for cooler weather - it is guaranteed to warm you right up! This version starts with a quick homemade stock made from a variety of aromatics and is finished with colorful vegetables.
Smarts: We love quick-cooking Instant Ramen for these noodle bowls. Just buy those inexpensive packets of Instant Ramen (any flavor) and discard the seasoning packets before adding them to the soup.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, cubed
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, finely diced (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red curry paste - 1 Tbsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Snap peas or snow peas, fresh or frozen - 12 oz
- Noodles, ramen - 6 oz (use Instant Ramen, just discard the seasoning packet)
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers / Shallots / Lemongrass / Ginger / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers, shallots, lemongrass, and ginger. Store jalapenos in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok or Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, shallots, lemongrass, and ginger and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Add chicken and red curry paste and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes to get chicken started cooking.
- Pour in stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 4 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While soup simmers, tear leaves off cilantro stems.
- Add snap peas and ramen noodles to soup and simmer until noodles are tender (check the package, but this should only take 2 to 3 minutes for Instant Ramen).
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season soup with some more fish sauce or a pinch of salt if you’d like.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with jalapenos and cilantro. Enjoy!
Tasty and easy0 Helpful
I made this, but substituted fish for chicken. I had most of the ingredients except lemongrass ( I used the stuff in the tube). It was delicious. I only used 32 oz of broth but based on other reviews I didn't overcook the noodles. I used Trader Joe's snap peas but found that they were very stringy. I may try something different next time. I will definetly make this again.0 Helpful
Delicious. For sure a favorite. Substituted Gardein tenders and made the noodles separate so they wouldn't get soggy in the leftovers.0 Helpful
This was so tasty! My family loved it.0 Helpful
Our toddlers loved this. I cooked the noodles for 2 min and then added then snap peas for just 1 min. Next time I would double the curry paste for more flavor.0 Helpful
Everyone commented that they liked it and there were moments of silence where everyone was simply eating. I could have made it boiling less, as the time it took me to prep and add the snap peas had the noodles soggy. Second time around I cooked the noodles separately and that worked out well. Our family uses 1/3 the amount of red curry paste.0 Helpful