Red Curry Chicken Ramen
with snow peas / bell peppers
A big bowl of spicy ramen is great for cooler weather - it is guaranteed to warm you right up! This version starts with a quick homemade stock made from a variety of aromatics and is finished with colorful vegetables.
Smarts: We love quick-cooking Instant Ramen for these noodle bowls. Just buy those inexpensive packets of Instant Ramen (any flavor) and discard the seasoning packets before adding them to the soup.
- Bell peppers, red - 1, cubed
- Shallots - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks, finely diced (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Red curry paste - 1 Tbsp (sub any color curry paste)
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Fish sauce - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Snap peas or snow peas, fresh or frozen - 12 oz
- Noodles, ramen - 6 oz (use Instant Ramen, just discard the seasoning packet)
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Bell peppers / Shallots / Lemongrass / Ginger / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers, shallots, lemongrass, and ginger. Store jalapenos in a separate container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a wok or Dutch oven with oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, shallots, lemongrass, and ginger and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
- Add chicken and red curry paste and saute for another 2 to 3 minutes to get chicken started cooking.
- Pour in stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 4 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- While soup simmers, tear leaves off cilantro stems.
- Add snap peas and ramen noodles to soup and simmer until noodles are tender (check the package, but this should only take 2 to 3 minutes for Instant Ramen).
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lime juice. Season soup with some more fish sauce or a pinch of salt if you’d like.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with jalapenos and cilantro. Enjoy!
I made this, but substituted fish for chicken. I had most of the ingredients except lemongrass ( I used the stuff in the tube). It was delicious. I only used 32 oz of broth but based on other reviews I didn't overcook the noodles. I used Trader Joe's snap peas but found that they were very stringy. I may try something different next time. I will definetly make this again.0 Helpful
Delicious. For sure a favorite. Substituted Gardein tenders and made the noodles separate so they wouldn't get soggy in the leftovers.0 Helpful
This was so tasty! My family loved it.0 Helpful
Our toddlers loved this. I cooked the noodles for 2 min and then added then snap peas for just 1 min. Next time I would double the curry paste for more flavor.0 Helpful
Everyone commented that they liked it and there were moments of silence where everyone was simply eating. I could have made it boiling less, as the time it took me to prep and add the snap peas had the noodles soggy.0 Helpful
Amazing flavors but needed more liquid. The noodles get soggy if leaving for leftover, so in the future I will separate out extra portions before adding noodles.0 Helpful