Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca
with avocado / pepitas
This flavorful soup is full of warm spices and colorful veggies. Make it in the slow cooker and set out all the toppings for a meal that's ready whenever you are. A version of this soup was featured in 2018.
Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca:
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz , cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves , chopped
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 2 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Avocados - 1 , diced
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Onions / Bell peppers / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, onions, bell peppers, carrots, garlic, stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Avocados / Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Divide into serving bowls.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- When chicken is cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and shred or chop it. Return chicken to slow cooker. Season with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Serve soup with avocados, limes, cilantro, and pepitas to be added at the table. Enjoy!