Slow Cooker Sopa Azteca
with avocado / baked tortilla strips
This flavorful soup is full of warm spices and colorful veggies. Make it in the slow cooker and set out all the toppings for a meal that's ready whenever you are.
Smarts: To make use of tortillas that you may have purchased earlier in the week for Mexican Shakshuka, this recipe includes instructions for making your own baked tortilla strips. If you don't have leftover tortillas or just want to save time, you can use tortilla chips instead (as shown in the photo and used in this recipe the first time we featured this soup).
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 2, sliced into 2” / 5 cm strips
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Bell peppers, any color - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 12 oz, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Chili powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 2 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Avocados - 1, diced
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Onions / Bell peppers / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook chicken - Combine chili powder, cumin, salt, onions, bell peppers, carrots, garlic, stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and adobo sauce in the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with corn and then chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 6 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bake tortilla strips - Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Slice tortillas into thin strips, ~2" / 5 cm. Toss with oil and spread on a sheet pan. Season with some salt and black pepper. Bake, shaking the pan halfway through, until tortillas are crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Avocados / Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed. Divide into serving bowls.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove it from the slow cooker and shred or chop it. Return chicken to slow cooker. Season with some salt and pepper. Add some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like the soup spicier.
- Divide half of the tortilla strips between serving bowls. Ladle soup over tortilla strips and give the soup a stir to mix the strips in.
- Serve soup with avocados, limes, cilantro, sour cream, and the remaining tortilla strips to be added at the table. Enjoy!
Delicious! We made this in the Instant Pot. First sautéed the veggies (-corn, forgot to add that until after cooking) with garlic and spices, then threw in the rest of the ingredients, including bone-in skinless chicken leg quarters for the slow cooker step. Cooked on high pressure for 30 minutes with a 3 minute natural pressure release. Chicken was falling off the bone and the flavor was wonderful. Very easy to throw together.1 Helpful
Always a winner! I like to take the immersion blender to thicken it up a bit.0 Helpful
Made this with leftover turkey from thanksgiving. Added a can of charro beans and fideo pasta0 Helpful
Yall, this soup is a new favorite of mine. Flavors were amazing! My 8 year old loved it too!0 Helpful
Very good and easy. I will make this again!!0 Helpful
I would probably cook the onions first because they are pretty raw tasting in the final soup.0 Helpful