Sriracha Honey Tofu
with broccoli / quinoa
We're giving this classic Cook Smarts meal (a favorite back in 2016) a fresh look. The photos and instructions may have been updated, but this dish still features the same creamy, spicy, unique sauce that had our community raving when it was first introduced.
- Quinoa, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
Sriracha Honey Tofu with Broccoli:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2" / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Broccoli - 1 lb , chopped
- Garlic powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- Sriracha - 2 Tbsp (or other hot sauce)
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Walnuts, halves or pieces - 4 oz
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Quinoa - (Skip if quinoa was made ahead for Tuesday.) Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Bring to a boil covered. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make seasoning for tofu - Combine garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce for tofu - Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, vinegar, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop leaves.
- Toss tofu with seasoning.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add first part of oil and then broccoli to heated oil. Saute broccoli until it turns bright green. Add soy sauce and then cover with a lid. Steam broccoli, covered, until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove lid and add garlic to broccoli. Saute together for 2 minutes more.
- Set broccoli aside.
- Wipe pan clean and return to medium-high heat. Add second part of oil and then tofu to heated oil. Using tongs, arrange tofu in a single layer so it can brown more easily. Cook on all sides until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and toss tofu with sauce, walnuts, and cilantro.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve tofu over broccoli and quinoa. Enjoy!