- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Jalapenos (opt) - 2, seeds removed and diced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Eggs - 8
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Zucchini / Garlic / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Combine onions and zucchini in one container. Combine garlic and jalapenos in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large saute pan or Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add onions and zucchini with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapenos, and spice mix. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Stir in tomatoes (including liquid) and adobo sauce. Bring to a simmer and simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low-medium. Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Cover, and cook until eggs are done to your liking, ~5 minutes.
- Top shakshuka with avocados, pepitas, and cilantro. Enjoy!
Husband and I enjoyed this, kids not so much...not big zucchini fans. Other shakshuka I have had does not use zucchini but rather more tomato-based sauce with red pepper mixed in giving it a sweet flavor...I am fine with this version but think I actually prefer the other. I made the same quantity as stated in the recipe but with 2 eggs/pp versus 1 egg/pp which I was able to fit (so total 8) in the pan on the stovetop.1 Helpful
Can't believe I've never rated this but we love this dish. It's simple, easy, and tasty. We double the eggs for a large breakfast. We have also served with tortilla chips or pan fried tortilla strips.0 Helpful
The rare CS recipe that didn’t work at all. Spicing was way out of balance, eggs didn’t cook through in the Dutch oven in well over 5 minutes. This went straight into the compost before I inflicted it on my family.0 Helpful
Very tasty! Definitely going into our regular rotation.0 Helpful
It was good. I cut out jalapeños and trimmed chili powder. It still too spicy for the kids.0 Helpful
One of our favorite CS meals! My 7 year old had 2 servings and loved it!0 Helpful
Doubled the spices and added extra eggs and thought it was pretty good though still not hot enough for me. I didn't really understand serving tortillas on the side, though. I think next time I would maybe fry the tortillas so they're crispy or put the filling/eggs inside them like a burrito.0 Helpful