Mexican Shakshukawith tortillas
Shakshuka (eggs cooked in a veggie-packed tomato sauce) has long been a favorite in the Cook Smarts community. It's a meal that is naturally vegetarian and gluten-free, so it works for a variety of dietary needs. This version gets the addition of a Mexican spice blend, giving this classic dish a totally new flavor. Serve it with tortillas for scooping up the delicious sauce.
Smarts: Queso Fresco cheese adds a salty, savory flavor to the dish, but feel free to skip the cheese if you prefer.
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Zucchini - 1 lb, cubed
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Jalapenos (opt) - 2, seeds removed and diced
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Cheese, queso fresco (opt) - 4 oz, crumbled
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Adobo sauce - 1 Tbsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Eggs - 4
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds - 1/4 cup
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Make spice mix - Combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Zucchini / Garlic / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. Combine onions and zucchini in one container. Combine garlic and jalapenos in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Cheese - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large saute pan or Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add onions and zucchini with a pinch of salt and saute until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapenos, and spice mix. Saute for 1 minute more.
- Stir in tomatoes (including liquid) and adobo sauce. Bring to a simmer and simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low-medium. Crack eggs directly into tomatoes. Top eggs with cheese. Cover and cook until eggs are done to your liking, ~5 minutes.
- While eggs are cooking, heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Top shakshuka with pepitas and cilantro.
- Serve shakshuka with tortillas and sour cream. Enjoy!
This meal has 34 reviews
One of our favorite CS meals! My 7 year old had 2 servings and loved it!
Doubled the spices and added extra eggs and thought it was pretty good though still not hot enough for me. I didn't really understand serving tortillas on the side, though. I think next time I would maybe fry the tortillas so they're crispy or put the filling/eggs inside them like a burrito.
Left out the jalapeño and it still had a little heat and great flavor. I agree with some other reviewers that one egg per serving isn’t quite enough - I am glad I added extra. Will definitely make again.
Amazing! I wanted more immediately.
Better than expected. I added extra eggs, which was good - and did let the eggs cook too long, which wasn't good - but otherwise really liked it.