Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
with spinach salad
We featured a version of chicken fajitas in 2017, but this version is significantly faster to make without sacrificing any bold flavor.
Smarts: Cooking the chicken and peppers under the broiler gives them authentic fajita flavor by lightly charring them in places. Keep a close eye on the ingredients as they cook to prevent burning.
- Onions, medium red - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breast, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced in half to thin and cut into strips
- Green onions - 2, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 4 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Onions / Bell peppers - (If prepping right before cooking, get broiler heating first.) Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, coriander, cumin (portion for fajitas), salt, chili powder, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, lime juice, mustard, honey, and cumin (portion for salad). Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Season vinaigrette with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice breasts in half to thin and then cut into thin strips. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler and move an oven rack to about 6” / 15 cm below the heat source.
- Toss chicken, onions, and bell peppers in oil (portion for fajitas) and then in spice mix. Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Slide sheet pan under the broiler and broil chicken and vegetables until cooked through, shaking the pan a few times during cooking, 5 to 7 minutes (depending on thickness of chicken strips).
- Meanwhile, toss together tomatoes, spinach, and pepitas. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- When chicken and vegetables are done cooking, squeeze half the lime wedges over top.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Fill tortillas with chicken, peppers, onions, sour cream, and green onions. Enjoy fajitas with salad and extra lime wedges on the side.
The chicken and salad dressing are amazing! I just BBQ'd the chicken0 Helpful
Fast to make but didn't really work for us. We have a similar recipe but pan fried and like that better.0 Helpful
I doubled the spices and the dressing. We’re saucy people.0 Helpful
Loved making them in the oven. So easy! Doubled the spice mix. Took a bit longer to broil, but my pan was pretty full. Salad was good too.0 Helpful
We would definitely make this again. Great taste, healthy, and very easy to make.0 Helpful
Quick, easy and satisfying. Kids loved it.0 Helpful