Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
with spinach salad
Smarts: Cooking the chicken and peppers under the broiler gives them authentic fajita flavor by lightly charring them in places. Keep a close eye on the ingredients as they cook to prevent burning.
- Onions, medium red - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced in half to thin and cut into strips
- Green onions - 2, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Cumin - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 4 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup, halved
- Baby spinach - 6 oz
- Pepitas / pumpkin seeds (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Onions / Bell peppers - (If prepping right before cooking, get broiler heating first.) Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, coriander, cumin (portion for fajitas), salt, chili powder, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, lime juice, mustard, honey, and cumin (portion for salad). Add oil (portion for salad) while whisking. Season vinaigrette with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice breasts in half to thin and then cut into thin strips. Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions / Limes - Prep as directed.
- Tomatoes - Halve tomatoes.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler and move an oven rack to about 6” / 15 cm below the heat source.
- Toss chicken, onions, and bell peppers in oil (portion for fajitas) and then in spice mix. Spread out on a sheet pan.
- Slide sheet pan under the broiler and broil chicken and vegetables until cooked through, shaking the pan a few times during cooking, 5 to 7 minutes (depending on thickness of chicken strips).
- Meanwhile, toss together tomatoes, spinach, and pepitas. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking.
- When chicken and vegetables are done cooking, squeeze half the lime wedges over top.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Fill tortillas with chicken, peppers, onions, sour cream, and green onions. Enjoy fajitas with salad and extra lime wedges on the side.
Delicious and so easy!! The chicken was moist and tender. We didn't make the salad but I had mine over lettuce instead of in a tortilla. Everyone enjoyed this one. Will definitely make it again!0 Helpful
This was really good but I fluffed up - I thought we had chicken in the freezer but we didn't :( So I just made ground beef and made it like tacos on the stove with the ground beef mixed in with the peppers and onions. I feel bad rating a recipe I didn't really make properly. Definitely going to try to make this again w/ chicken so I can properly review.0 Helpful
Really good. Easy. Only made the chicken, onion, pepper. Really liked the spice mix. Made for an easy pantry/freezer meal!0 Helpful
Used rotisserie chicken - heated up separately from onions and pepper. Greek yogurt for sour cream.0 Helpful
REALLY didn’t feel like cooking tonight, so I was especially grateful for this quick, easy, flavorful meal. We’ll be returning to this one on busy days.0 Helpful
Easy and tasty. I added black beans to the veggies with about 7 minutes of roasting left to add some protein. We didn't make the salad--just had some roasted corn on the side. Will make again!0 Helpful