Mushroom and Lentil Stroganoff
with egg noodles / balsamic green beans
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Sage, fresh - 4 leaves, finely chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 16 oz, sliced in half
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cups
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 1 1/2 cups (if using dry lentils, use half the amount listed and cook according to package directions)
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic / Green beans - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating / green beans roasting before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss noodles with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Finely chop sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms in half. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Prep sauce - Combine flour, paprika, and coriander in a small bowl. Combine stock and wine in another bowl.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss green beans with cooking oil (portion for beans), vinegar, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- When green beans have been roasting for about 10 minutes, heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir garlic and sage into mushrooms and continue cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add flour, paprika, and coriander and stir into mushrooms until no dry spots remain.
- Pour stock and wine over mushrooms, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add lentils and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce forms a thick gravy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Taste and add some more salt and pepper, if needed.
- If noodles were cooked ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Remove green beans from oven and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Serve mushrooms and lentils over noodles with green beans on the side. Enjoy!
Subbed ground turkey for ground beef, and used chicken stock. Picky kids ate it and adults thought it was pretty good, too. Super filling. Next time adults will try on a baked potato.1 Helpful
This was quick and easy and definitely has potential. In my opinion, the smoked paprika ruins it... I will certainly try this again but will sub it out for regular.0 Helpful
I think i would try it over rice next time as the pasta was pretty plain. Maybe if it hadn't gotten so thick, maybe it would have mixed with the pasta better.0 Helpful
Delicious and so easy!! I used macaroni because i didn't have egg noodles. While I am sure egg noodles would have been better, I would make again with either. Highly recommend!0 Helpful
Very bland it did not use classic onion and mushroom flavors. It was edible but not enjoyable.0 Helpful
The flavors/spices called for don't go together. I actually almost vomited trying to eat this.0 Helpful
I think that I don’t care for smoked paprika. I like my moms beef stroganoff recipe a lot better.0 Helpful