Mushroom and Lentil Stroganoff
with egg noodles / balsamic green beans
Saucy, comforting stroganoff is a classic cool-weather dish. This vegetarian-friendly version uses mushrooms and lentils instead of the traditional beef in a rich, creamy sauce. This recipe was last featured in 2018.
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Sage, fresh - 4 leaves , finely chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 16 oz , sliced in half
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/4 cups
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lentils, cooked - 1 1/2 cups (if using dry lentils, use half the amount listed and cook according to package directions)
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Balsamic Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic / Green beans - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating / green beans roasting before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss noodles with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Finely chop sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms in half. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Prep sauce - Combine flour, paprika, and coriander in a small bowl. Combine stock and wine in another bowl.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss green beans with cooking oil (portion for beans), vinegar, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- When green beans have been roasting for about 10 minutes, heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown and tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir garlic and sage into mushrooms and continue cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add flour, paprika, and coriander and stir into mushrooms until no dry spots remain.
- Pour stock and wine over mushrooms, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add lentils and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce forms a thick gravy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Taste and add some more salt and pepper, if needed.
- If noodles were cooked ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Remove green beans from oven and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Serve mushrooms and lentils over noodles with green beans on the side. Enjoy!