Ground Beef Stroganoff
with baked sweet potato / balsamic green beans
Saucy, comforting beef stroganoff is a classic cool-weather dish but can take a long time to cook. We've made this version weeknight-friendly by using quick-cooking ground beef instead of the traditional cubed beef. This version is served over roasted sweet potato halves for a paleo-friendly twist. (A version of this recipe using cubed beef was featured in 2018.)
Ground Beef Stroganoff over Baked Sweet Potato:
- Sweet potatoes, medium - 4 , sliced in half lengthwise
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Sage, fresh - 4 leaves , finely chopped
- Arrowroot powder - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Stock, beef - 1 1/2 cups (sub any type stock)
Balsamic Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Sweet Potatoes / Garlic / Green beans - (If prepping right before cooking, get sweet potatoes roasting before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Finely chop sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep stroganoff seasoning - Combine arrowroot powder, paprika, and coriander in a small bowl.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Brush the cut side of the potatoes with some cooking oil. Place potatoes cut-side down on a sheet pan. Transfer to oven and roast until potatoes are fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- After sweet potatoes have been roasting for a few minutes, toss green beans with cooking oil (portion for beans), vinegar, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Spread on a second sheet pan and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- When sweet potatoes and green beans have been roasting for about 10 minutes, heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain off any excess oil and return beef to heat. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir garlic and sage into beef and continue cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add arrowroot powder, paprika, and coriander and stir into beef until no dry spots remain.
- Pour stock over beef, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce forms a thick gravy, 3 to 5 minutes. Taste and season with some more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Remove green beans from oven and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Place sweet potato halves, cut-side up, on serving plates. Mash them slightly with a fork. Spoon beef over potatoes. Serve green beans on the side. Enjoy!