Ground Beef Stroganoff
with egg noodles / balsamic green beans
Saucy, comforting beef stroganoff is a classic cool-weather dish but can take a long time to cook. We've made this version weeknight-friendly by using quick-cooking ground beef instead of the traditional cubed beef. If you'd like to make the more traditional version, check out this one from our archives.
Ground Beef Stroganoff:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Noodles, egg - 8 oz (sub any dried pasta)
- Sage, fresh - 4 leaves , finely chopped
- Flour, all-purpose - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, beef - 1 1/4 cups (sub any type stock)
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub any type stock)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground - 1 lb
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Balsamic Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic / Green beans - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating / green beans roasting before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Boil noodles according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss noodles with some oil to help prevent sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sage - Finely chop sage. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Prep sauce - Combine flour, paprika, and coriander in a small bowl. Combine stock and wine in another bowl.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss green beans with cooking oil (portion for beans), vinegar, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper. Spread on a sheet pan and roast, shaking pan halfway through cooking, until beans are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While green beans roast, heat a large saute pan with oil (portion for stroganoff) over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain off any excess oil and return beef to heat. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Stir garlic and sage into beef and continue cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add flour, paprika, and coriander and stir into beef until no dry spots remain.
- Pour stock and wine over beef, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until the sauce forms a thick gravy, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Taste and add some more salt and pepper, if needed.
- If noodles were cooked ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Remove green beans from oven and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Serve beef over noodles with green beans on the side. Enjoy!