[Leftover] Indian Chicken Saute with Cauliflower
and okra 'fries'
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs, thinly sliced
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower (leftover from Monday) - ~4 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Okra - 1 lb, trimmed and halved (sub green beans)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curried Mayonnaise (ingredients listed separately) - 4 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise, paleo-friendly - 1/4 cup
- Curry powder, mild - 3/4 tsp
- Shallots - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Curried mayonnaise - Whisk together mayonnaise and curry powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Thinly slice chicken. Toss with garam masala and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Okra - Slice stems off okra and halve lengthwise.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- Toss okra with oil and spread onto a sheet pan. Season with some salt. Roast for 20 minutes, shaking once midway through.
- While okra roasts, heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add butter and then shallots and chicken to melted butter. Saute until chicken is nearly cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- To chicken, add cauliflower and saute until heated through. Remove from heat and squeeze lemon juice over top. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken saute with okra and curried mayonnaise on the side. Enjoy!
Wow, so tasty! Substituted Gardein tenders for the beans, which went really well. I suspect many meats/meat substitutes would work in this. Doubled the sauce, because sauce. Eliminated the okra without substitution, as we don't like it, and there were plenty of vegetables already.0 Helpful
So I'm a big "meat and potato" kinda guy... But with this recipe, I wasn't left missing meat at all! This recipe was so darn easy (especially if you used leftover cauliflower and mashed potatoes) and had a fairly accurate Indian flavor for being such a simple mix of spices. Definitely making this again! Or if I need to entertain and vegetarian friends!0 Helpful
This was easy and very tasty! I wasn't sure it would have enough flavor but it did!0 Helpful
Everyone liked. Served the sautés cauli & potatos (leftover) separate from chicken , non paleo eater had mini naan with it, and rice. Used primal kitchen brand mayo. Subbed green beans as no okra local.0 Helpful
Sleeper hit for sure. I was surprised at how good it was - probably the best CookSmarts meal I'd had in awhile + came together super quickly. I did increase the garam marsala and served spiralized sweet potatoes on the side. I also added 1 tsp of magic mushroom seasoning then additional salt to taste. My 3 year old devoured her chicken (asked for 3 additional servings) and dipped it in the curry mayo. She also ate peas and cauliflower dipped in the curry mayo so overall win. Would 100% make this again.0 Helpful
This wasn't as flavorful as I had hoped, even with adding more spices than in the recipe. It was easy to put together with the leftovers from an earlier meal. We definitely used yogurt instead of mayo and added extra curry powder to it, which was really tasty.0 Helpful