Brown Butter Gnocchi with Walnuts and Sage
with apple spinach salad
Smarts: Be sure to let the butter for the sauce heat until it turns a light golden brown. It gives the butter a rich, nutty flavor and earns it the title of "brown butter."
- Walnuts - 3 oz, chopped
- Shallots - 2 cloves, diced
- Sage, fresh - 4 leaves, thinly sliced
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Gnocchi, uncooked - 12 oz
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon zest - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Apples - 1, sliced
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Walnuts - Chop walnuts. If you’d like the walnuts toasted, toast in a dry skillet until fragrant and golden, 4 to 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard. Add olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Sage - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Slice apples.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Bring a stock pot of salted water to a boil. Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain.
- Put vinaigrette in a large mixing bowl. Top with apples and spinach and set aside. Wait to toss until just before serving.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and then shallots and sage. Saute until butter starts to brown slightly and sage is turning crisp.
- Add gnocchi and beans and saute until coated in butter-sage sauce. Remove from heat and season with a pinch of salt. Zest lemon over top.
- Toss salad. Top gnocchi with walnuts. Serve gnocchi with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Super easy and delicious flavors. Next time, I would add the vinaigrette to the pan while searing the pork chops so it gets a better coating of it. For my small family, 2 porchops is plenty. I would also add more apple a decrease spinach given family preferences.0 Helpful
This was good, except the beans were a bit weird. I'd probably use a different source of protein next time and put it on the side instead of in the gnocchi.0 Helpful
The gnocchi and salad were delicious and easy. I thought the pork chop was a little bland.0 Helpful
Made Paleo with salad but added gnocchi for the other eaters. Whole family ate a part of this & all liked it. Came together really easy to have a meat, salad & gnocchi.0 Helpful
Delicious and loved by the whole family. Added pecans to the salad.0 Helpful
Used kale instead of spinach being what i had at home. Even if i doubled the sage i felt the dressing took over the sage butter taste. Next time i would clean the pan before adding butter and sage.0 Helpful