Oven Roasted 'Fried' Tofu Tenders
with cauliflower and potato mash / baked tomatoes
These tofu tenders are seasoned with an easy spice mix and served with honey-mustard for dipping. The side dish uses a combination of potatoes and cauliflower to make a flavorful mash. This dish was last featured in 2017.
Tofu Spice Mix:
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp (not garlic salt)
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
‘Fried’ Tofu Tenders with Cauliflower and Potato Mash:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , sliced into 3/4" / 2 cm rectangles (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 tsp
- Sour cream - 1/2 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/4 cup
- Tofu spice mix (ingredients listed separately) - 2 1/4 tsp
- Foil - for lining pan
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
Baked Parmesan Tomatoes:
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 oz , grated
- Tomatoes, medium - 2 , halved
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
Boiled Potatoes and Cauliflower (for 2 nights):
- Cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen - 20 oz , chopped into florets
- Potatoes, russet - 2 lbs , peeled and cubed
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 3/4” / 2 cm rectangles (make these a good size to hold for dipping). (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Make tofu spice mix - Combine salt, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make honey mustard sauce - Whisk together honey, mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower (This makes enough for 2 nights.) / Cheese - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tomatoes / Potatoes - Prep as directed. To slice tomatoes, set them stem-side up on a cutting board. With your knife parallel to the counter, slice tomatoes in half. As you cube the potatoes, transfer them to a large stockpot filled with water.
- Prep breading stations - Whisk together sour cream (portion for tofu), milk, and lemon juice in a shallow baking dish. Combine panko, flour, and spice mix in a second shallow dish.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- While oven heats, prepare potatoes and cauliflower. (Note: This makes enough vegetables for 2 nights.) Place stockpot with water and potatoes over high heat (wait to add cauliflower). Season the water with some salt.
- Bring potatoes to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer potatoes until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Add fresh cauliflower florets after potatoes have been boiling for 7 minutes; add frozen cauliflower florets after 10 minutes. When vegetables are tender, drain and rinse. Place colander with vegetables back in stockpot (off heat) and cover with a dishtowel to steam. (This will give give you tender but not watery potatoes.)
- Meanwhile, line a sheet pan with foil. Place butter on top of foil and transfer to heated oven. Leave sheet pan in the oven until the butter is melted, ~3 minutes.
- Carefully remove pan from oven and swirl butter around.
- Working in batches, coat tofu first in sour cream / milk mixture and then press into flour / panko mixture until it coats all sides. Place tofu in a single layer on heated pan. Bake until tofu is golden brown on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes. Flip and continue baking ~5 minutes more.
- Once tofu is baking, place tomatoes in a small baking dish, cut-side up. Top with some salt, Italian seasoning, and cheese. Transfer to oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Return to potatoes and cauliflower. Set half the vegetables aside for Wednesday night. To remaining vegetables, add sour cream (portion for mash). Mash with a fork (or use an immersion blender to get it really smooth and creamy.) Add some stock, some water, or more sour cream if the mixture is too thick to mash. Season with some salt.
- Serve tofu with honey-mustard sauce. Enjoy potato / cauliflower mash and roasted tomatoes on the side.