Breakfast Fried Rice with Sausageand fried egg / green smoothie
We've taken the breakfast theme of this East-meets-West fried rice seriously and even topped it with shredded cheddar cheese! It's a fun meal that comes together very fast.
Smarts: Breakfast sausage makes up most of the flavor in the fried rice, so be sure to get a high-quality version and grab mild or spicy depending on your preference.
- Shallots - 1 clove, diced
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Breakfast sausage - 8 oz
- Cooked rice (leftover from Wednesday) - ~2 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Cheese, cheddar or colby jack - 2 oz, grated
- Eggs - 4
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - for serving
- Cucumbers - 6 oz, chopped into large pieces
- Apples - 3, chopped
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Ice - 1 cup
- Shallots - Dice shallots. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Chop cucumbers into large chunks (just so they fit better into the blender). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lemons - Slice lemons into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make smoothie - Chop apples (Note: if you know your blender can handle the peels, leave them on; if unsure or using a lower powered blender, it’s a good idea to peel the apples first.) Combine apples, cucumbers, baby spinach, lemon juice, water, and ice in the bowl of a blender. Blend until smooth, adding a splash more water if needed.
- Heat a large wok or skillet with first portion of oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots to heated oil and saute for 1 minute to get them started cooking. Add breakfast sausage and saute, breaking the sausage apart, until cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add rice to sausage and stir to combine. Pour soy sauce and vinegar over rice, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. (Add a splash more soy sauce if the rice seems dry.)
- Squeeze half the lemon wedges over the rice. Grate cheese directly over top of the rice. Set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan with second part of cooking oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into heated oil and cook until done to your liking - on one side for over-easy or flip to fry on both sides.
- Divide fried rice between serving plates. Top each portion with an egg. Serve remaining lemon wedges and hot sauce on the side. Enjoy with smoothie.
This meal has 28 reviews
So delicious - comfort food at its best and a fun take on breakfast for dinner. I don’t love the texture of apple-heavy smoothies, so I’ll probably change that up next time - might be nice to just add some vegetables to the rice.
Very good! We loved it all.
Can't believe I'd never thought to make something like this before. SO easy!
Rice was great. Smoothie tasted healthy ( I will probably use apple juice instead of water and sacrifice a few calories for a bit more apple flavor and sweetness).
Good stuff. Kids liked it. Skipped the smoothie in favor of fresh blueberries. Added kale to the end of the hash for some color.
The meal was perfect for cooler weather and the smoothie was a hit (i sold it to the kids as apple sauce). I went light on the spinach and am happy to say that I am part of team smoothie!