Korean BBQ Platter
with bulgogi / cucumbers / kimchi / cauliflower rice
This BBQ platter is the Korean version of a taco bar and was last featured in 2018. Set out the components - sweet / savory beef, cauliflower rice, pickled cucumbers, crisp greens, and hot sauce - and let everyone make their own bowl at the dinner table.
Smarts: Gochujang is a Korean hot sauce that is less spicy and has much more flavor depth than other hot sauces. It's worth tracking down a paleo-friendly version if you can!
- Steak, sirloin or boneless ribeye - 1 lb, thinly sliced (sub skirt or flank steak)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/3 cup
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, cubed
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Cauliflower - 16 oz
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, shredded (sub iceberg)
- Carrots - 6 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, leaves torn
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Gochujang - 4 Tbsp (Korean hot sauce)
- Sesame seeds, black or white - 1/2 tsp
- Kimchi - 1/2 cup
- Chill steak - This step is optional, but will make the meat easier to slice. Put beef in the freezer for about 15 minutes so it is very cold but not frozen.
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate beef - Chop garlic. Grate ginger. Thinly slice beef against the grain. Combine garlic, ginger, aminos, and toasted sesame oil (portion for beef) in a bowl. Add beef and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Pickle cucumbers - Cube cucumbers. Toss with vinegar and honey (portions for cucumbers). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Tear cilantro leaves.
- In a large bowl, whisk together toasted sesame oil, honey, and first portion of vinegar (portions for BBQ platter). Add lettuce and carrots on top. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together gochujang and second part of vinegar (portion for BBQ platter).
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add beef and marinade and saute until beef is cooked through and marinade is bubbling.
- Drain liquid off cucumbers and season with some salt.
- If cauliflower rice was made ahead, reheat.
- Toss salad in vinaigrette and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Set out salad, cauliflower rice, beef, gochujang, pickled cucumbers, kimchi, and cilantro. Let everyone assemble their Korean BBQ bowl at the table. (The crisp, cool salad is great mixed together in the bowls with the warm ingredients, but feel free to enjoy it on the side if you prefer.)
We really liked this! Omitted kimchi and only used 3 Tbsp Gochujang. Would definitely make again!0 Helpful
very good, will try with meat0 Helpful
Easy and really tasty. The vegetarian bulgogi was sooo good0 Helpful
Really good, would use way less gochujang next time0 Helpful
nice mix of sweet and spicy! The thin slices of beef made all the difference.0 Helpful