Korean BBQ Platter
with bulgogi / cucumbers / kimchi / rice
This BBQ platter is the Korean version of a taco bar and was last featured in 2018. Set out the components - sweet / savory beef, rice, pickled cucumbers, crisp greens, and hot sauce - and let everyone make their own bowl at the dinner table.
Smarts: Gochujang is a Korean hot sauce that is less spicy and has much more flavor depth than other hot sauces. It's worth tracking it down if you can!
- Steak, sirloin or boneless ribeye - 1 lb, thinly sliced (sub skirt or flank steak)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, cubed
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 2 1/2 cups
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, shredded (sub iceberg)
- Carrots - 6 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, leaves torn
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Gochujang - 4 Tbsp (Korean hot sauce)
- Sesame seeds, black or white - 1/2 tsp
- Kimchi - 1/2 cup
- Chill steak - This step is optional, but will make the meat easier to slice. Put beef in the freezer for about 15 minutes so it is very cold but not frozen.
- Rice - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate beef - Chop garlic. Grate ginger. Thinly slice beef against the grain. Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, and toasted sesame oil (portion for beef) in a bowl. Add beef and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Pickle cucumbers - Cube cucumbers. Toss with vinegar and sugar (portions for cucumbers). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Tear cilantro leaves.
- In a large bowl, whisk together toasted sesame oil, first portion of vinegar, and sugar (portions for BBQ platter). Add lettuce and carrots on top. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together gochujang and second part of vinegar (portion for BBQ platter).
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add beef and marinade and saute until beef is cooked through and marinade is bubbling.
- Drain liquid off cucumbers and season with some salt.
- Reheat rice if made ahead (reserve half for Thursday).
- Toss salad in vinaigrette and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Set out salad, rice, beef, gochujang, pickled cucumbers, kimchi, and cilantro. Let everyone assemble their Korean BBQ bowl at the table. (The crisp, cool salad is great mixed together in the bowls with the warm ingredients, but feel free to enjoy it on the side if you prefer.)
It was good, just needed more mushrooms and I skimped because of those darn plastic holders. Good combo of flavors though.0 Helpful
We really liked this! Omitted kimchi and only used 3 Tbsp Gochujang. Would definitely make again!0 Helpful
very good, will try with meat0 Helpful
Easy and really tasty. The vegetarian bulgogi was sooo good0 Helpful
Really good, would use way less gochujang next time0 Helpful