Drunken Rice Noodles with Chicken
and broccolini / mushrooms
We have a popular version of this Thai take-out favorite in the archives, but we wanted to give it a new twist. This version uses dried rice noodles, which are easier to find than fresh rice noodles, and has a new version of the sweet and savory sauce that accompanies the noodles.
Drunken Rice Noodles with Chicken:
- Broccolini - 1 bunch , finely chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Rice noodles - 8 oz
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , chopped
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Eggs - 2 , whisked
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
Drunken Noodle Sauce:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger (opt) - 2 tsp , grated
- Brown sugar - 2 Tbsp
- Tamari - 4 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Broccolini - Chop broccolini. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Grate ginger. Combine garlic, ginger, sugar, Tamari, first portion of water, vinegar, and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Rice noodles - Cook noodles according to package directions, being careful not to overcook. Drain and cool completely. (If prepping ahead, toss noodles with some cooking oil to help prevent sticking.) (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Chop chicken. Tenderize with a fork and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs.
- Make slurry - Combine second portion of water and cornstarch.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok with first part of oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is nearly cooked through. Move chicken to one side of the pan and pour eggs into the other side. Scramble eggs until just set. Set chicken and eggs aside and return wok to heat.
- Add second part of oil and then broccolini and mushrooms to heated wok. Saute until vegetables are tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce into wok, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Bring sauce to a simmer.
- Give cornstarch slurry a stir and add it to sauce. Simmer until sauce starts to thicken slightly, ~1 minute.
- Add chicken, eggs, and noodles back to pan and toss everything to combine.
- Serve noodles with cilantro on top and some extra Sriracha on the side. Enjoy!