Slow Cooker White Bean Chowder
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Celery - 2 stalks, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Kale, curly leaf - 4 leaves, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- Potatoes, russet - 12 oz
- Stock, any type - 6 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Thyme, dried - 1 tsp
- Beans, pinto, navy, or cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Baguette, small - 1
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1 tsp
- Carrots / Celery / Onions / Kale - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook soup - Peel and cube potatoes. Combine potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, kale, stock, bay leaves, thyme, and beans in the bowl of a slow-cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (Can be done 1 day ahead.)
- If you would like to serve the baguette warm, heat the oven to 350F / 177C. Place baguette on a sheet pan and bake just until crisp on the outside and warmed through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When soup is finished cooking, remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in vinegar and hot sauce (if using). Use an immersion blender to blend a small portion of the soup right in the bowl of the slow cooker (this will make give the chowder a smooth, creamy quality without the addition of any cream). Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Slice or tear baguette into pieces. Serve soup with baguette on the side. Enjoy!
Easy to make!0 Helpful
This wasn't bad and we ate it. Just not a favorite. There seemed to be an off taste that I couldn't figure out. Maybe the bay leaves?0 Helpful
This was an easy meal and had amazing flavors!0 Helpful
Easy dish and solid flavors!0 Helpful
Very good and easy to get together0 Helpful
I slow-cooked for 6.5 hours but the onions are not cooked all the way through. Maybe using only 1/2 onion, sautéed beforehand would help, because all I taste are onions.0 Helpful