Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soupwith baguette
Let this comforting, classic soup simmer in the slow-cooker to build flavor.
Smarts #1: Any variety of chopped ham works well in this soup, but a version that is smoked or cured will add the most flavor (and will add enough salt that you may not need any additional seasoning). Including a piece of ham bone adds even more rich flavor. Your grocery store's butcher may be able to point you in the direction of a cut that will work best.
Smarts #2: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Celery - 2 stalks, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Kale, curly leaf - 4 leaves, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- Ham steak or smoked ham - 1 1/4 lbs, chopped (bone-in if possible; if these are not available, use thick-sliced deli ham)
- Stock, any type - 6 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Beans, pinto, navy, or cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Baguette, small - 1
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1 tsp
- Carrots / Celery / Onions / Kale / Ham - Prep as directed and combine. If using a type of ham that comes with the bone in, reserve the bone and add it to the soup (it will add a lot of flavor). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook soup - Combine carrots, celery, onions, kale, ham (including bone), stock, bay leaves, and beans in the bowl of a slow-cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (Can be done 1 day ahead.)
- If you would like to serve the baguette warm, heat the oven to 350F / 177C. Place baguette on a sheet pan and bake just until crisp on the outside and warmed through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When soup is finished cooking, remove and discard bay leaves. If you included the ham bone in the soup, remove and discard bone.
- Stir in vinegar and hot sauce (if using). Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Slice or tear baguette into pieces. Serve soup with baguette on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 37 reviews
This was an easy meal and had amazing flavors!
Easy dish and solid flavors!
Very good and easy to get together
I slow-cooked for 6.5 hours but the onions are not cooked all the way through. Maybe using only 1/2 onion, sautéed beforehand would help, because all I taste are onions.
I agree with other reviews that said it lacked some heartiness when using ham steak (as opposed to bone-in ham). I let my husband season it, and I think he may have overdone it on the salt and pepper. Otherwise, I thought this was an excellent soup, super easy to prepare, and reheated leftovers were equally good as it the day of cooking.
We loved this. I prepared it on the stove top and not in a slower cooker. Used a ham steak that was pre cooked, which I cubed and cooked on the pot. Then cooked the aromatics before dropping in the beans and broth (used beef bullion). Added kale before serving to keep it green. Added parm on top. So yummy. Hot sauce helped.