Slow Cooker Ham and White Bean Soup
Smarts #1: Any variety of chopped ham works well in this soup, but a version that is smoked or cured will add the most flavor (and will add enough salt that you may not need any additional seasoning). Including a piece of ham bone adds even more rich flavor. Your grocery store's butcher may be able to point you in the direction of a cut that will work best.
Smarts #2: This recipe could be made in the Instant Pot. For tips, join the Cook Smarts Instant Pot Facebook Group.
- Carrots - 8 oz, chopped
- Celery - 2 stalks, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Kale, curly leaf - 4 leaves, stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- Ham steak or smoked ham - 1 1/4 lbs, chopped (bone-in if possible; if these are not available, use thick-sliced deli ham)
- Stock, any type - 6 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Beans, pinto, navy, or cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Baguette, small - 1
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce of choice (opt) - 1 tsp
- Carrots / Celery / Onions / Kale / Ham - Prep as directed and combine. If using a type of ham that comes with the bone in, reserve the bone and add it to the soup (it will add a lot of flavor). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Slow cook soup - Combine carrots, celery, onions, kale, ham (including bone), stock, bay leaves, and beans in the bowl of a slow-cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (Can be done 1 day ahead.)
- If you would like to serve the baguette warm, heat the oven to 350F / 177C. Place baguette on a sheet pan and bake just until crisp on the outside and warmed through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- When soup is finished cooking, remove and discard bay leaves. If you included the ham bone in the soup, remove and discard bone.
- Stir in vinegar and hot sauce (if using). Taste soup and season with some salt and pepper, if needed.
- Slice or tear baguette into pieces. Serve soup with baguette on the side. Enjoy!
Easy to make!0 Helpful
This wasn't bad and we ate it. Just not a favorite. There seemed to be an off taste that I couldn't figure out. Maybe the bay leaves?0 Helpful
This was an easy meal and had amazing flavors!0 Helpful
Easy dish and solid flavors!0 Helpful
Very good and easy to get together0 Helpful
I slow-cooked for 6.5 hours but the onions are not cooked all the way through. Maybe using only 1/2 onion, sautéed beforehand would help, because all I taste are onions.0 Helpful