Middle Eastern Cauliflower Rice with Turkey
and peas / carrots
This is probably not like any fried cauliflower rice you've had before, but a Middle Eastern spice mix gives the rice a unique and exotic flavor. Top the rice with raisins, lemon juice, pine nuts, and cilantro for an authentic finish.
Middle Eastern Spice Mix:
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric (opt) - 1/4 tsp
Middle Eastern Cauliflower Rice with Turkey:
- Cauliflower florets - 1 lb
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub sliced or slivered almonds)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Golden raisins - 1/4 cup
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Stir spice mix and garlic into turkey. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lemons / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost frozen peas and carrots in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and saute until fragrant and lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add oil. Add seasoned turkey (which should already be combined with spice mix and garlic) and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add peas and carrots and stir to combine.
- Stir in cauliflower rice, aminos, and hot sauce until everything is heated through, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in raisins. Squeeze half the lemon wedges over top.
- Divide cauliflower rice between serving plates and top with pine nuts and cilantro. Serve remaining lemon wedges and some extra hot sauce on the side.