Middle Eastern Fried Rice with Turkeyand peas / carrots
This is probably not like any fried rice you've had before, but a Middle Eastern spice mix gives the rice a unique and exotic flavor. Top the rice with raisins, lemon juice, pine nuts, and yogurt for an authentic finish.
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub sliced or slivered almonds)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Basmati rice, cooked (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Harissa paste - 2 tsp (sub tomato paste with a few drops of hot sauce)
- Golden raisins - 1/4 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Stir spice mix and garlic into turkey. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lemons / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost frozen peas and carrots in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and saute until fragrant and lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add oil. Add seasoned turkey (which should already be combined with spice mix and garlic) and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add peas and carrots and stir to combine.
- Stir in rice, beans, soy sauce, and harissa until everything is heated through, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in raisins. Squeeze half the lemon wedges over top.
- Divide rice between serving plates and top with yogurt, pine nuts, and cilantro. Serve remaining lemon wedges and some extra harissa on the side.
This meal has 44 reviews
Loved the raisins, I kept adding more!
“This is the food I love” per my daughter. My whole family adored this.
Very flavourful and so easy to make!
This was really easy and flavorful, and reheated well for lunches.
Really ridiculously easy. 10/10 would make again
This was pretty good!! I'm glad I upped the amount of spices once I realized how much food was going in the pot. I skipped the pine nuts, but the yogurt was a great touch.