Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
with broccoli in French vinaigrette
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Flour, any gluten-free - 1/2 cup (sub almond flour)
- Eggs - 2
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free - 1/2 cup (sub almond meal)
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1/4 cup, grated
- Foil - for baking
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 slices
- Cheese, shredded white cheddar - 4 oz (sub Swiss)
- Broccoli - 1 head, chopped
- Shallots - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine or sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Broccoli - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Chop broccoli into florets. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure not to slice all the way through (so that the two halves are still connected). Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over chicken and pound with a tenderizer until breasts are about 1/4” / .6 cm thick. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep breading stations – Mix together flour and some salt and pepper in one bowl / dish. Whisk together eggs and water in second bowl / dish. Mix together bread crumbs, thyme, a generous pinch of salt, some pepper and parmesan in a third bowl / dish.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with some cooking oil or brush with some oil.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and cheese and then roll. Set aside. You can secure them with a toothpick if needed. (Watch this video for tips.)
- Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, then egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken onto the baking sheet seam side down.
- Bake until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F / 74C, 20 to 25 minutes. (Cheese will start oozing out.)
- 10 minutes before chicken is done, place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave until tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Chop shallots and mix with mustard, vinegar, and some salt and pepper. Whisk in oil. Toss broccoli with vinaigrette.
- Slice chicken and serve with broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
Loved this0 Helpful
This has become a regular for dinner at our house. Everyone loves the chicken, we mix up the sides depending on what we have on hand.0 Helpful
We enjoyed this. Cooked it in the air fryer on 400 for 20 minutes.0 Helpful
We really liked this when it was fresh, but the leftovers were quite dry.0 Helpful
Subbed bell pepper, broiled the peppers and broccoli for a bit more crunch before assembly. Added some feta crumbles since we had it in the house. Overall, delicious and very easy.0 Helpful
Great taste but I agree, could have used a sauce.0 Helpful