Baked Chicken Cordon Bleuwith broccoli in French vinaigrette
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Flour - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1/4 cup, grated
- Foil - for baking
- Ham, deli-sliced - 4 slices
- Cheese, shredded white cheddar - 4 oz (sub Swiss)
- Broccoli - 1 head, chopped
- Shallots - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine or sherry - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Broccoli - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Chop broccoli into florets. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing chicken breast in half, making sure not to slice all the way through (so that the two halves are still connected). Open up chicken breasts, like opening a book. Place parchment paper over chicken and pound with a tenderizer until breasts are about 1/4” / .6 cm thick. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep breading stations – Mix together flour and some salt and pepper in one bowl / dish. Whisk together eggs and water in second bowl / dish. Mix together bread crumbs, thyme, a generous pinch of salt, some pepper and parmesan in a third bowl / dish.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and spray with some cooking oil or brush with some oil.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and cheese and then roll. Set aside. You can secure them with a toothpick if needed. (Watch this video for tips.)
- Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, then egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken onto the baking sheet seam side down.
- Bake until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F / 74C, 20 to 25 minutes. (Cheese will start oozing out.)
- 10 minutes before chicken is done, place broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave until tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Chop shallots and mix with mustard, vinegar, and some salt and pepper. Whisk in oil. Toss broccoli with vinaigrette.
- Slice chicken and serve with broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 33 reviews
The broccoli was ridiculously easy to make! Definitely will be doing that again. A head of broccoli was enough for me for the week, even though I thought it wouldn't be. The cordon bleu was okay. I think I would tenderize the chicken even further, and maybe use swiss instead of havarti.
Easy and delicious! The chicken was also great left over. I thought the chicken might be a little boring or dry by itself so I made a quick mustard sauce to go with it and it was great.
I don't love breading chicken because of all the dishes it uses, but this was relatively easy and had a really good flavor. I served the leftover broccoli cold since I'd read the dressing didn't reheat well, and it worked well as a cold side.
This didn't look super filling so we doubled the broccoli. But still pretty good.
This was delicious! Had some leftover ginger-maple-amino butter, so used that on the broccoli.
Really good except the chicken wound up dry and tasteless around the other ingredients. I'd do a marinade next time.