Zucchini Fritters with Cilantro Garlic Sauce
and basmati rice salad
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1/3 cup
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any color - 1 Tbsp (sub soy sauce)
- Zucchini - 1 lb , shredded
- Cheese, ricotta - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Water - 3 1/2 cups
- Rice, basmati - 2 cups
- Tomatoes, cherry or grape - 1 cup , halved
- Baby spinach - 5 oz , chopped
- Basmati rice, cooked (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Cilantro Garlic Sauce (ingredients listed separately) - ~1/2 cup
Cook rice - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) Fill a saucepan with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then add rice. Bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low, and cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, 15 to 18 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make cilantro garlic sauce - Roughly chop cilantro and garlic. Combine with olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and miso paste. Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Tomatoes / Spinach - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Zucchini - Shred with a box grater and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Squeeze in a clean dish towel or paper towel to remove as much liquid as possible (this is the key to crispy fritters). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave just until slightly warm (reserve half for Wednesday). Combine rice with tomatoes, spinach, and cilantro garlic sauce. Season with some salt and pepper.
Make fritter batter by combining zucchini with ricotta, eggs, flour, salt, and pepper.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, test the fritter batter by adding a heaping spoonful to the pan. If the fritter is mostly liquid and spreads out, add a bit more flour to the batter. Cook the remaining fritters in batches until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Serve zucchini fritters with yogurt on top and rice salad on the side. Enjoy!