Sesame Ginger Chickpea Lo Mein
with broccoli / cashews
These sweet and savory noodles, with a little spice from fresh ginger, will change the way you look at lo mein. They were featured in 2018 and are packed with far more flavor than the standard take-out version. This time around we're adding coleslaw mix for a bit more substance and texture.
Sesame Ginger Sauce:
- Ginger, fresh - 1 Tbsp , grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
Sesame Ginger Chickpea Lo Mein:
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Noodles, lo mein - 10 oz (sub Udon or soba noodles)
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup , leaves torn
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 387 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz (look for a mix that includes grated carrots)
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Make sauce - Grate ginger. Combine ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook noodles - Cook noodles according to package instructions. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and saute until broccoli is cooked through (add a splash of water and cover with a lid if you’d like the broccoli more tender), 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, garlic, and coleslaw mix and saute until peppers are starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour sauce over vegetables and bring to a simmer.
- Stir beans, noodles, and cashews into stir-fry. Toss everything well to combine.
- Top lo mein with lime juice, sesame seeds, and cilantro. Enjoy!