Balsamic Steak and Roasted Vegetable Salad
with spiced pecans
Smarts: Delicata squash is one of the easiest types of squash to prepare because you can eat the peel. Just scrape out the seeds and cook the slices of squash with the peel on. If you can't find delicata squash, butternut will work well (but needs to be peeled first).
- Vinegar, balsamic - 3 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 7 Tbsp
- Steak, hanger or flank - 1 lb
- Balsamic Marinade and Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 4 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp + 5 Tbsp
- Squash, delicata - 12 oz, sliced (sub cubed butternut squash)
- Brussels sprouts - 12 oz, halved
- Foil - for roasting
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Salad greens - 8 oz (like baby spinach, baby kale, or arugula)
- Golden raisins - 1/2 cup
- Ginger, fresh - 1/2 tsp, grated
- Parchment paper - for cooling
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Make marinade / vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup. Add oil (portion for marinade / vinaigrette), while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate steak - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Combine steak with the first portion of marinade / vinaigrette. Tenderize steak with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make spiced pecans - Grate ginger. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper (this is where you’ll transfer the pecans to cool). Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add pecans and stir for 4 to 5 minutes, until lightly toasted. Add butter and stir until melted. Add ginger, honey, red pepper flakes, and salt. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles caramel and coats pecans, 2 to 3 minutes more. (Watch it very carefully and remove it from the heat if you see or smell any signs of burning.) Spread pecans out over parchment paper. Cool completely before storing at room temperature. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash / Brussels sprouts - Prep as directed. (Note: If using delicata squash, cut it in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds before slicing. There’s no need to remove the outer peel - it is edible and will get tender when roasted.) Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C.
- Spread Brussels sprouts out onto a sheet pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake for ~10 minutes.
- While Brussels sprouts are roasting, remove steak from marinade (discard marinade). Season steak generously with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet with oil (portion for salad) over medium-high heat. Cook steak, without moving it, until one side is well seared, ~5 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 4 minutes. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; another 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
- While steak is resting, remove Brussels sprouts from the oven and remove foil. Add squash and second portion of vinaigrette and toss everything together. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Return pan to oven and roast vegetables for another 8 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until tender and crisp around the edges.
- When vegetables are finished roasting, let them cool for a few minutes while you slice steak into strips.
- To assemble salads, toss together salad greens, Brussels sprouts, squash, raisins, and third portion of vinaigrette. Top with steak and pecans. Enjoy!
I made a "mash up" of paleo and original. I still need a better way to roast the veggies, so they are crisp, but not burnt beyond recognition..The marinade/dressing is delicious as are the pecans (made with brown sugar)0 Helpful
Excellent fall flavors!0 Helpful
We made this as a "side" with the split pea soup. I overcooked the lentils and so left them out..I also used dried cranberries instead of raisins.(YUM!). This was great! I also have an aversion to goat chees so always use feta instead.0 Helpful
It seemed a little daunting at first, but it did come together pretty quickly and I thought the flavor was outstanding. The spicy pecans are so delicious!0 Helpful
Really good. I love brussels sprouts and goat cheese. Used kale as the salad green.0 Helpful
would have tossed greens with dressing first. great flavors0 Helpful