Tofu Banh Mi
with Sriracha mayo / pineapple
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - 1 tsp, more or less, to taste
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2" / 1.3 cm strips (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 tsp + 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz (look for a mix that includes grated carrots)
- Pineapple - 1/2, sliced into spears
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Sandwich rolls - 4 (sub 1 soft baguette)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick strips that will easily fit inside the sandwich rolls. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make marinade for tofu - Whisk together first portion of soy sauce, first portion of oil, vinegar, and honey. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Whisk together second portion of soy sauce, second portion of oil, lime juice (portion for banh mi), and sugar. Add coleslaw mix and toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise, lime juice (portion for mayo), and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet with third part of oil over medium heat. Add tofu in a single layer and sear on both sides until golden brown, ~5 minutes total. Pour marinade into pan and continue cooking tofu, turning to coat both sides, until all of the marinade has soaked into the tofu.
- Toss slaw and season it with some salt and pepper.
- Toast rolls / baguette if you’d like. (If the bread is fresh or very soft, you may want to skip toasting it.)
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading Sriracha mayo on both sides of the rolls and filling them with tofu, jalapenos, slaw, and cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy sandwiches with pineapple on the side.
Whoa! My mouth is still burning. Was it the Sriracha mayo and/or the jalapeños? Either way I really needed the pineapple. It would have been enjoyable if we didn’t burn our mouths. I’m wondering if I did something wrong.1 Helpful
Every component was soo yummmy. Will try chicken marinate for other dishes tooo.0 Helpful
Pretty easy and tasty0 Helpful
Fun, tasty recipe!0 Helpful
Fast weeknight meal when prep was done- try it with pork!0 Helpful
Fantastic! I doubled the chicken to use with the sesame chicken noodle recipe too!0 Helpful
This was pretty tasty and came together quickly using the slaw mix instead of chopping everything myself!0 Helpful