Chicken Banh Mi
with Sriracha mayo / pineapple
We have another version of chicken banh mi in our archives, but this version takes a few short-cuts (including using coleslaw mix instead of the traditional pickled vegetables) to make this colorful meal even more week-night friendly.
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Sriracha - 1 tsp, more or less, to taste
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved to thin
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp + 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Fish sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Coleslaw mix - 5 oz (look for a mix that includes grated carrots)
- Pineapple - 1/2, sliced into spears
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1, thinly sliced
- Cilantro - 1/4 cup, leaves torn
- Sandwich rolls - 4 (sub 1 soft baguette)
- Marinate chicken - Slice chicken in half to thin. Combine with soy sauce, first portion of oil, vinegar, and honey. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make slaw - Whisk together second portion of oil, lime juice (portion for banh mi), fish sauce, and sugar. Add coleslaw mix and toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise, lime juice (portion for mayo), and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pineapple / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and season on both sides with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet with third part of oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sear on both sides until cooked through, ~6 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- While chicken rests, toss slaw and season it with some salt and pepper.
- Toast rolls / baguette if you’d like. (If the bread is fresh or very soft, you may want to skip toasting it.)
- Slice chicken into pieces that will easily fit inside the rolls / baguette.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading Sriracha mayo on both sides of the rolls and filling them with chicken, jalapenos, slaw, and cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy sandwiches with pineapple on the side.
Every component was soo yummmy. Will try chicken marinate for other dishes tooo.0 Helpful
Pretty easy and tasty0 Helpful
Fun, tasty recipe!0 Helpful
Fast weeknight meal when prep was done- try it with pork!0 Helpful
Fantastic! I doubled the chicken to use with the sesame chicken noodle recipe too!0 Helpful
This was pretty tasty and came together quickly using the slaw mix instead of chopping everything myself!0 Helpful