Sausage and Cauliflower Gnocchi Soup
with mushrooms / kale
Smarts #1: This soup is absolutely loaded with ingredients, so you'll need the full amount of stock listed. Leaving the lid on and slightly ajar while the soup simmers will help prevent too much liquid from evaporating off during cooking.
Smarts #2: Paleo-friendly cauliflower gnocchi are becoming increasingly popular and can be found in the freezer section of many grocery stores. If you can't find them, substitute fresh or frozen cauliflower florets.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Kale, any type - 4 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and kept separate
- Sausage, pre-cooked or smoked - 12 oz, diced
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 7 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cauliflower gnocchi - 8 oz (sub fresh or frozen cauliflower florets)
- Heat a large Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. (Don’t rush this step. Browning the mushrooms will add flavor to the soup.)
- To the mushrooms, add sausage, onions, kale stems (reserve leaves), Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and some salt. Saute until onions are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add vinegar, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in kale leaves, stock, and tomatoes (including liquid).
- Bring soup to a simmer. When soup is simmering, add the lid to the pan and reduce heat to low. (If the soup bubbles over, move the lid so it is slightly ajar.) Simmer soup, covered, for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Remove lid and add cauliflower gnocchi or florets. Simmer until tender, 2 to 3 minutes for cauliflower gnocchi and 7 to 8 minutes for florets.
- When soup is finished, season with some salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Subbed spinach for kale. So good!!!1 Helpful
I found GF gnocchi at Whole Foods. The soup was delicious! I added more sausage than the recipe called for and use lacinto kale. It turned out great. Will definitely make this again.0 Helpful
We make this soup regularly and it is delicious every time. It’s a perfect fall/winter weeknight meal.0 Helpful
This soup had great flavor. I left out the mushrooms and added some carrots.0 Helpful
Incredible flavor! This will be revisited as it gets colder. Everybody in our family enjoyed this and we have a couple of people who are very picky when it comes to soup.0 Helpful
Good, hearty fall soup!! I used vegetarian sausage and mushroom stock...happy that I have leftovers!0 Helpful
This was delicious! Loved the tip about not rushing the mushrooms - my 4 year old stirred those while I cut and prepped the rest of the soup. We didn't even add the parmesan since I'm currently dairy free and it was still amazing! Loved the gnocchi instead of beans, we went ahead and added the whole package. Same with the smoked sausage and added a bit less stock. Will definitely make again!0 Helpful