Sausage and Gnocchi Soupwith mushrooms / kale
Gnocchi are potato dumplings that add a comforting contrast to the other earthy ingredients in this soup.
Smarts: This soup is absolutely loaded with ingredients, so you'll need the full amount of stock listed. Leaving the lid on and slightly ajar while the soup simmers will help prevent too much liquid from evaporating off during cooking.
- Onions, medium - 1, chopped
- Kale, any type - 4 leaves, leaves and stems chopped and kept separate
- Sausage, pre-cooked or smoked - 12 oz, diced
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 7 cups
- Tomatoes, diced and fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1 rind
- Gnocchi - 8 oz
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Heat a large Dutch oven with oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are deep golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. (Don’t rush this step. Browning the mushrooms will add flavor to the soup.)
- To the mushrooms, add sausage, onions, kale stems (reserve leaves), Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and some salt. Saute until onions are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add vinegar, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in kale leaves, stock, tomatoes (including liquid), and parmesan rind.
- Bring soup to a simmer. When soup is simmering, add the lid to the pan and reduce heat to low. (If the soup bubbles over, move the lid so it is slightly ajar.) Simmer soup, covered, for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Remove lid and add gnocchi. Simmer gnocchi according to package directions, usually 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove parmesan rind from soup. Taste and season soup with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated cheese. Enjoy!
This meal has 54 reviews
Incredible flavor! This will be revisited as it gets colder. Everybody in our family enjoyed this and we have a couple of people who are very picky when it comes to soup.
Good, hearty fall soup!! I used vegetarian sausage and mushroom stock...happy that I have leftovers!
This was delicious! Loved the tip about not rushing the mushrooms - my 4 year old stirred those while I cut and prepped the rest of the soup. We didn't even add the parmesan since I'm currently dairy free and it was still amazing! Loved the gnocchi instead of beans, we went ahead and added the whole package. Same with the smoked sausage and added a bit less stock. Will definitely make again!
So good! So much flavor.
Everyone liked the flavor & said put in rotation! Used Andoville Smoked sausage, gnocchi Haggen brand fresh. Used about 5 1/2. Ish c stock (chicken) & w30 brand fire roasted tomatoe. Added cilantro. Filling!
Tons of flavor. I used Aidells Italian style chicken sausage. Also my fire roasted tomatoes included green chilies for an extra kick.