Tortellini and Mushroom Saute
with leeks / zucchini
Smarts: To make the saute, each element is added to one pan but requires a different amount of time to cook. For maximum flavor, take your time with each addition, letting the vegetables / aromatics brown and caramelize on the bottom of the pan.
- Zucchini - 12 oz, chopped
- Pasta, tortellini - 16 oz
- Leeks - 2, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Zucchini - Chop zucchini. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Cook pasta according to package directions. If prepping ahead of time, let tortellini cool and toss with some oil to minimize sticking. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Leeks / Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add butter and then mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are golden brown and dry, 5 to 6 minutes. (Note: Don’t rush this step. You want the mushrooms to be nicely browned to get maximum flavor in the sauce.)
- When mushrooms are nicely browned, add leeks and saute until leeks are starting to soften, ~3 minutes.
- Add zucchini with some salt and saute just to get the zucchini started cooking, ~2 minutes more.
- Stir in flour and Italian seasoning until no dry spots of flour remain.
- While stirring, slowly pour stock over vegetables. Bring sauce to a simmer and simmer until sauce is thick and creamy and zucchini is tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in tortellini. Season pasta with some salt.
- Transfer pasta to serving plates and top each portion with lemon zest and black pepper. Enjoy!
Sauce didn’t thicken and it turned into pasta soup. Could have been my fault!0 Helpful
This was awesome. We aren't gluten-free and used regular flour, but otherwise followed the recipe. I always avoided gnocchi recipes assuming I wasn't a big gnocchi fan - that was a mistake! Will definitely make this again.0 Helpful
This one was not my favorite. It could have partly been the Spinach Tortellini from Trader Joe’s (I didn’t like it), or maybe the zucchini which isn’t my favorite especially when it’s soft. I love mushrooms, but all the flavors just didn’t mesh well together.l for me. The recipe looks delicious and I was really excited to make it. I’m sure it’s just because I didn’t make it right or it doesn’t suit my taste preferences.0 Helpful
Think it could have used a little something else with it but overall super easy and fast to cook. Would definitely make again.0 Helpful
This was very labor intensive but worth it. The dish was a bit bland (I don't cook with salt as my husband doesn't like it). Once I salted it up (my husband did too), it really came to life. I will make this again.0 Helpful
First cooksmarts recipe I tried. Instant favorite!0 Helpful