Chicken with Mushroom Pan Saucewith leeks / zucchini
This comforting chicken has layers of vegetables and aromatics in a rich and creamy pan sauce (that is made without the addition of any actual cream).
Smarts: To make the saute, each element is added to one pan but requires a different amount of time to cook. For maximum flavor, take your time with each addition, letting the vegetables / aromatics brown and caramelize on the bottom of the pan.
- Pancetta - 6 oz, chopped
- Zucchini - 12 oz, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, halved
- Leeks - 2, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Pancetta (if not pre-chopped) / Zucchini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Slice chicken breasts in half. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Leeks / Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add oil and then chicken to heated oil. Sear chicken on both sides until nearly cooked through, ~3 minutes per side (it will finish cooking in the sauce). Set chicken aside and return pan to heat.
- Add pancetta to pan and saute until crisp and golden, ~5 minutes. Transfer pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of oil from the pan or add a splash of oil if the pan looks dry.
- To heated pan, add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are golden brown and dry, 5 to 6 minutes. (Note: Don’t rush this step. You want the mushrooms to be nicely browned to get maximum flavor in the sauce.)
- When mushrooms are nicely browned, add leeks and saute until leeks are starting to soften, ~3 minutes.
- Add zucchini with some salt and saute just to get the zucchini started cooking, ~2 minutes more.
- Stir in arrowroot powder and Italian seasoning until no dry spots of arrowroot powder remain.
- While stirring, slowly pour stock over vegetables. Bring sauce to a simmer and simmer until sauce is thick and creamy and zucchini is tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pan and turn it to coat in sauce. Continue cooking chicken in sauce until cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a serving plate and spoon sauce / vegetables over top. Finish chicken with pancetta, lemon zest, and black pepper on top. Enjoy!
This meal has 31 reviews
This was very labor intensive but worth it. The dish was a bit bland (I don't cook with salt as my husband doesn't like it). Once I salted it up (my husband did too), it really came to life. I will make this again.
First cooksmarts recipe I tried. Instant favorite!
Made with pirogies. Really great quick combo.
We loved it so much! Easy and delicious, something I would have never thought to make.
Incredible. A hit with my whole family. My DH said it tastes like fall.
Skipped the leeks. Skipped the pancetta, but grilled chicken Italian sausage on the side. Sauce came together nicely, mushrooms and squash were great with Costco cheese tortellini.