Tortellini and Mushroom Saute with leeks / zucchini
This tortellini has layers of vegetables and aromatics that are tossed in a rich and creamy pan sauce (that is made without the addition of any actual cream).
Smarts: To make the saute, each element is added to one pan but requires a different amount of time to cook. For maximum flavor, take your time with each addition, letting the vegetables / aromatics brown and caramelize on the bottom of the pan.
- Pancetta - 4 oz, chopped (look for pre-chopped; sub chopped bacon)
- Zucchini - 12 oz, chopped
- Pasta, tortellini - 16 oz
- Leeks - 2, chopped
- Mushrooms, any brown - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemon zest - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Pancetta (if not pre-chopped) / Zucchini - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pasta - Cook pasta according to package directions. If prepping ahead of time, let tortellini cool and toss with some oil to minimize sticking. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Leeks / Mushrooms (if not pre-sliced) - Prep as directed. Store separately.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, ~5 minutes. Transfer pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of oil from the pan or add a splash of oil if the pan looks dry.
- To heated pan, add mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are golden brown and dry, 5 to 6 minutes. (Note: Don’t rush this step. You want the mushrooms to be nicely browned to get maximum flavor in the sauce.)
- When mushrooms are nicely browned, add leeks and saute until leeks are starting to soften, ~3 minutes.
- Add zucchini with some salt and saute just to get the zucchini started cooking, ~2 minutes more.
- Stir in flour and Italian seasoning until no dry spots of flour remain.
- While stirring, slowly pour stock over vegetables. Bring sauce to a simmer and simmer until sauce is thick and creamy and zucchini is tender, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in tortellini. Season pasta with some salt.
- Transfer pasta to serving plates and top each portion with pancetta, lemon zest, and black pepper. Enjoy!
This meal has 32 reviews
Think it could have used a little something else with it but overall super easy and fast to cook. Would definitely make again.
This was very labor intensive but worth it. The dish was a bit bland (I don't cook with salt as my husband doesn't like it). Once I salted it up (my husband did too), it really came to life. I will make this again.
First cooksmarts recipe I tried. Instant favorite!
Made with pirogies. Really great quick combo.
We loved it so much! Easy and delicious, something I would have never thought to make.
Incredible. A hit with my whole family. My DH said it tastes like fall.