Dan Dan-Style Noodles
with tofu / mushrooms / broccoli
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Tahini - 2 tsp (opt; sub Chinese sesame paste, black bean paste, or peanut butter)
- Chili garlic sauce - 2 tsp, more or less to taste (sub any hot sauce)
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Peanuts - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Broccoli - 12 oz, florets
- Noodles, dried ramen - 6 oz (discard seasoning packets if using instant ramen; or sub spaghetti)
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz, chopped (sub any brown mushroom)
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Peanuts / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, stock, soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar, toasted sesame oil (portion for sauce), and tahini. Add chili garlic sauce according to your spice preference (the amount listed will make a fairly spicy sauce, so reduce or increase the amount listed if you’d like). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Cook noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chop tofu and mushrooms - Finely dice tofu and mushrooms or combine them in a food processor and pulse until chopped. Make sure to just pulse or it may result in a paste. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and saute until broccoli turns bright green. Add water to pan and cover with a lid. Steam broccoli until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil (portion for noodles) and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Set broccoli aside and return wok to heat.
- To wok, add second part of cooking oil and then tofu / mushroom mixture to heated oil. Saute until moisture from the mushrooms has cooked off and tofu is starting to brown on the bottom of the pan, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Give sauce a stir and pour over top of tofu / mushrooms. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes.
- If noodles were made ahead, reheat.
- Assemble bowls with noodles, tofu / mushrooms, broccoli, cilantro, and peanuts. Add some red pepper flakes or some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like more heat. Enjoy!
This was great, very easy and we all liked it. I used sriracha instead of chili garlic sauce, and halved the amount because of concerns about spice. It wasn’t spicy at all, so we topped ours with chili crisp.0 Helpful
Just as great as everyone says it is! A new fave. Used peanut butter since I was out of tahini. Made extra broccoli. Half the chili garlic sauce was the perfect amount for me.0 Helpful
I was good but I wanted to like it more. Forgot the peanuts, I think that would have given it the extra star.0 Helpful
One of my all time favorite dishes now, thank you CookSmarts for introducing it to me!!!0 Helpful
Super delicious and so easy! One to have on repeat.0 Helpful
This is very tasty and came together easily. I left out the spice from the sauce because my husband can't handle spice (sad I know) and added sriracha to my bowl. I used ground beef but I think it would be better with pork or turkey.0 Helpful