Dan Dan-Style Noodleswith tofu / mushrooms / broccoli
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Tahini - 2 tsp (opt; sub Chinese sesame paste, black bean paste, or peanut butter)
- Chili garlic sauce - 2 tsp, more or less to taste (sub any hot sauce)
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Peanuts - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Broccoli - 12 oz, florets
- Noodles, dried ramen - 6 oz (discard seasoning packets if using instant ramen; or sub spaghetti)
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz, chopped (sub any brown mushroom)
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid. (Can be done up 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Peanuts / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, stock, soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar, toasted sesame oil (portion for sauce), and tahini. Add chili garlic sauce according to your spice preference (the amount listed will make a fairly spicy sauce, so reduce or increase the amount listed if you’d like). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Cook noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chop tofu and mushrooms - Finely dice tofu and mushrooms or combine them in a food processor and pulse until chopped. Make sure to just pulse or it may result in a paste. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and saute until broccoli turns bright green. Add water to pan and cover with a lid. Steam broccoli until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil (portion for noodles) and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Set broccoli aside and return wok to heat.
- To wok, add second part of cooking oil and then tofu / mushroom mixture to heated oil. Saute until moisture from the mushrooms has cooked off and tofu is starting to brown on the bottom of the pan, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Give sauce a stir and pour over top of tofu / mushrooms. Simmer until sauce thickens, ~2 minutes.
- If noodles were made ahead, reheat.
- Assemble bowls with noodles, tofu / mushrooms, broccoli, cilantro, and peanuts. Add some red pepper flakes or some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like more heat. Enjoy!
Parents loved it, kids hated it.0 Helpful
So good! We added some diced red bell peppers because we had them on hand and doubled the sauce because we love sauce. I also added a little extra cornstarch to get it thicker. Definitely on our favorites list!0 Helpful
My family loves this meal! I've done it with both pork and beef and they both turned out tasty. We serve it over rice noodles!0 Helpful
Made Paleo but also made the pork for meat eaters. Used Udon, ‘make your own bowl’ set up everyone liked.0 Helpful
Really good, the sauce is awesome. Used just one teaspoon of chili garlic sauce and was just the right level of spicy for the family.0 Helpful
Big hit! I followed the recipe exactly except doubled the sauce and ramen. Might try with rice noodles next time.0 Helpful