Dan Dan-Style Pork
with roasted portobello mushrooms / broccoli
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Arrowroot powder - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Tahini - 2 tsp (opt; sub Chinese sesame paste, black bean paste, or peanut butter)
- Hot sauce of choice - 2 tsp, more or less to taste
- Cashews - 1/2 cup, chopped
- Broccoli - 12 oz, florets
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, stems removed
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic / Cashews / Broccoli - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, stock, aminos, arrowroot powder, honey, vinegar, toasted sesame oil (portion for sauce), and tahini. Add hot sauce according to your spice preference (the amount listed will make a fairly spicy sauce, so reduce or increase the amount listed if you’d like). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Portobello mushrooms - Scrape out gills and remove stems. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss broccoli with first portion of cooking oil and spread out on one half of a sheet pan. Brush portobello mushrooms with second portion of cooking oil and place them on the second half of the same sheet pan. (Note: Use two sheet pans if you need more room.) Season everything with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer broccoli and mushrooms to the oven and roast until both are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Halfway through cooking, remove the pan from the oven and flip mushrooms (pat them dry with paper towels if they have released a lot of moisture) and give broccoli a stir.
- When mushrooms and broccoli are nearly finished cooking, heat a wok or skillet with third part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add pork to heated oil. Saute, breaking pork apart, until nearly cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Give sauce a stir and pour over top of pork. Simmer until sauce thickens and pork is cooked.
- Toss broccoli with toasted sesame oil (portion for pork) and lemon juice.
- Divide mushrooms between serving plates and spoon pork over top. Finish with cilantro, cashews, and some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like more heat. Enjoy broccoli on the side.
This was great, very easy and we all liked it. I used sriracha instead of chili garlic sauce, and halved the amount because of concerns about spice. It wasn’t spicy at all, so we topped ours with chili crisp.0 Helpful
Just as great as everyone says it is! A new fave. Used peanut butter since I was out of tahini. Made extra broccoli. Half the chili garlic sauce was the perfect amount for me.0 Helpful
I was good but I wanted to like it more. Forgot the peanuts, I think that would have given it the extra star.0 Helpful
One of my all time favorite dishes now, thank you CookSmarts for introducing it to me!!!0 Helpful
Super delicious and so easy! One to have on repeat.0 Helpful
This is very tasty and came together easily. I left out the spice from the sauce because my husband can't handle spice (sad I know) and added sriracha to my bowl. I used ground beef but I think it would be better with pork or turkey.0 Helpful