Dan Dan-Style Noodles
with pork / broccoli
- Garlic - 4 cloves, chopped
- Stock, any type - 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Tahini - 2 tsp (opt; sub Chinese sesame paste, black bean paste, or peanut butter)
- Chili garlic sauce - 2 tsp, more or less to taste (sub any hot sauce)
- Peanuts - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Broccoli - 12 oz, florets
- Noodles, dried ramen - 6 oz (discard seasoning packets if using instant ramen; or sub spaghetti)
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Water - 2 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Garlic / Peanuts / Broccoli - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine garlic, stock, soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, vinegar, toasted sesame oil (portion for sauce), and tahini. Add chili garlic sauce according to your spice preference (the amount listed will make a fairly spicy sauce, so reduce or increase the amount listed if you’d like). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Noodles - Cook noodles according to package directions. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Heat a wok or skillet with first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and saute until broccoli turns bright green. Add water to pan and cover with a lid. Steam broccoli until tender, ~3 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil (portion for noodles) and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Set broccoli aside and return wok to heat.
- To wok, add second part of cooking oil and then pork to heated oil. Saute, breaking pork apart, until nearly cooked through, ~5 minutes.
- Give sauce a stir and pour over top of pork. Simmer until sauce thickens and pork is cooked.
- If noodles were made ahead, reheat.
- Assemble bowls with noodles, pork, broccoli, cilantro, and peanuts. Add some extra red pepper flakes or some hot sauce (not in ingredients list) if you’d like more heat. Enjoy!
Just as great as everyone says it is! A new fave. Used peanut butter since I was out of tahini. Made extra broccoli. Half the chili garlic sauce was the perfect amount for me.0 Helpful
I was good but I wanted to like it more. Forgot the peanuts, I think that would have given it the extra star.0 Helpful
Super delicious and so easy! One to have on repeat.0 Helpful
This is very tasty and came together easily. I left out the spice from the sauce because my husband can't handle spice (sad I know) and added sriracha to my bowl. I used ground beef but I think it would be better with pork or turkey.0 Helpful
This is fast only after the mushrooms and tofu are chopped up. I was able to do it without a food processor. Next time I'm going to just rush chop then use my fingers to break it all up, seems to work well that way. I doubled the 6 serving sauce version for the 8 serving meal, if that makes sense. So there was extra sauce which we liked. One of my husband's top favorites, whether it's vegetarian or original.0 Helpful
Parents loved it, kids hated it.0 Helpful