Chicken Cutlets with Tomato-Herb Pan Sauce
and zucchini saute
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, chopped
- Zucchini - 12 oz, cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Tomatoes, grape or cherry - 1 pint, halved
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Butter, unsalted - 4 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Onions - Chop onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Tomatoes - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make herb butter - Chop garlic and cilantro. Heat butter in the microwave just until softened and starting to melt. Combine butter with garlic, cilantro, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil and onions and saute until soft, ~4 minutes. Add zucchini and saute until tender, ~6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dish and top with lemon juice.
- Return skillet to heat. Add half the herb butter to the hot pan. Sear chicken on both sides, ~2 minutes per side.
- Add remaining herb butter to pan and scatter tomatoes around chicken. Saute everything together until tomatoes are falling apart and chicken is cooked through (and reaches an internal temperature of 165F / 74C).
- Enjoy chicken with tomatoes and sauce spooned over top and zucchini on the side!
Made a vegetarian version of the chicken with fake Morningstar chicken strips. Succotash had a little yellow pepper and did shallots (one small) instead of onion. A little extra corn too. Yum!! Kids gobbled it up.0 Helpful
Really easy and delicious0 Helpful
Made both the chicken and the egg (I am a veggie but my husband is not). Both were delicious and our toddler loved it. The veggies were not great though (although the toddler ate them, so that was a win), would make the protein again though.0 Helpful
With using a big pan for the chicken, I had to double the herbed butter to ensure I had sauce at the end. Tasty! Everyone liked the succotash.0 Helpful
I didn’t expect to like it but it was really good. I subbed a can of diced tomatoes for the cherry tomatoes and feel like that was a good call. Some of the tomato sauce mixture got into the succotash in my leftovers and it was really really good. I might double the sauce next time and mix the succotash in with the chicken and sauce.0 Helpful
Absolutely delicious! Would use less butter next time because it just feels like a lot.0 Helpful