Chicken Cutlets with Tomato-Herb Pan Sauce
We're excited to bring back this late summer meal that highlights chicken in a buttery, fresh tomato pan sauce. A version of the meal was first featured in 2015.
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, chopped
- Corn kernels, frozen or fresh - 2 cups (1 ear fresh corn = ~1 cup / 165 g)
- Lima beans, frozen or fresh - 2 cups (sub peas)
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Butter, unsalted - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Tomatoes, grape or cherry - 1 pint, halved
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Butter, unsalted - 3 Tbsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Flour, all-purpose - 1/4 cup
- Onions - Chop onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn / Tomatoes - If using frozen corn, defrost. If using fresh corn, slice kernels off cobs. Slice tomatoes in half. Store separately. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make herb butter - Chop garlic and cilantro. Heat butter (portion for chicken) in the microwave just until softened and starting to melt. Combine butter with garlic, cilantro, paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Slice into strips. Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Lima beans - Defrost lima beans if using frozen.
- In a saucepan, combine lima beans, water, and butter (portion for succotash). Cover and cook over medium-high heat until lima beans are tender (~10 minutes for fresh and ~5 minutes for frozen). Remove the cover and continue cooking until excess water has cooked off. Add onions and corn and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender, ~3 minutes. Add lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside, covered.
- While the succotash is cooking, toss chicken in flour (in a mixing bowl or plastic bag).
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the herb butter to the hot pan. Sear chicken on both sides, ~2 minutes per side.
- Add remaining herb butter to pan and scatter tomatoes around chicken. Saute everything together until tomatoes are falling apart and chicken is cooked through (and reaches an internal temperature of 165F / 74C).
- Enjoy chicken with tomatoes and sauce spooned over top and succotash on the side!
Delicious! Was out of lima beans, subbed edamame. Everyone enjoyed it.0 Helpful
Very fast and easy. Made it with a little extra chicken and sauce. And made roasted green beans instead of the succotash because we love them. Great flavors!0 Helpful
Good quick meal! Really liked the butter on the zucchini sauté.0 Helpful
The flavor of this was good overall, but - here’s a thing I never thought I’d say! - I think I’d prefer a less buttery sauce.0 Helpful
My new favorite quick weeknight meal!0 Helpful
Pretty good. I had to add a lot of salt to the succotash before I liked it.0 Helpful