Fig and Kale Salad
with lentils / avocados / havarti / lemon adobo dressing
- Cheese, smoked Havarti - 6 oz, cubed (sub any other smoked cheese or goat cheese)
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Figs - 8, halved or quartered (sub grapes, using 4x more than listed)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby kale - 10 oz (sub any type kale, chopped)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 1 tsp (opt; usually found in a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make dressing - Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, adobo sauce, mustard, honey, and paprika. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Avocados / Figs - Prep as directed.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add lentils with 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of dressing (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and saute until lentils are warmed through.
- Gently toss together kale, avocados, cheese, figs, and lentils with remaining dressing until dressed to your liking. Top with sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
The flavors were amazing and this was so quick and easy! If you can’t find smoked Havarti, I highly recommend a smoked cheese over the other suggestion of goat cheese (we did smoked gruyere) - the smokiness really complements the smokiness of the dressing.0 Helpful
A great way to use figs for that week they are in season! This deconstructed nicely for all diets.0 Helpful
Delicious! It made for a beautiful and tasty presentation. Will make again! I used crumbled goat cheese and used almond slivers and pepitas rather than sunflower seeds. I probably doubled the honey and adobo sauce in the dressing because I really loved the sweet smoky flavor they gave.0 Helpful
Used curly kale, goat cheese, red grapes and pumpkin seeds as substitutions. Was wonderful and will make again!0 Helpful
Wow! Yum!0 Helpful
Really liked the flavor combination, used goat cheese because it's what I had. Looking forward to leftovers.0 Helpful