Pork Chop and Fig Salad with baby kale / havarti / lemon adobo dressing
Figs are hard to find out of season, so we love to highlight them when the season hits. This simple entree salad lets the flavor and texture of ripe figs really shine.
Smarts: If figs are not in season where you are, halved grapes make an excellent sub.
- Pork chops, boneless - 1 lb
- Cheese, smoked Havarti - 6 oz, cubed (sub any other smoked cheese or goat cheese)
- Figs - 8, halved or quartered (sub grapes, using 4x more than listed)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby kale - 10 oz (sub any type kale, chopped)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 1 tsp (opt; usually found in a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make dressing - Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, adobo sauce, mustard, honey, and paprika. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pork chops - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cheese / Figs - Cube cheese. Slice figs in half or in quarters (if using larger figs).
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add pork chops and sear on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F / 63C degrees.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board and cover. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- While pork rests, gently toss together kale, cheese, figs, and sunflower seeds with about half of the dressing.
- Slice pork and serve on top of salad. Add additional dressing over top. Enjoy!
I will make this again! I used arugula instead of kale and dried Turkish apricots. I was surprised at how well the flavors worked together.0 Helpful
I'm going to make pork this way every single time. My figs weren't very good. I think I'll play it safe next time and just use grapes. We used goat cheese and pine nuts since we had them on hand. Very yummy!0 Helpful
This was okay. I really wanted the flavors to come together better. The earthiness of the lentils just didn't really go with the figs, and the cheese felt a little out of place. I think that I would have liked it better with grapes, goat cheese, and a less smoky dressing. Or, maybe golden raisins would go well with the smokiness of the dressing. I really wanted to like this with the lentils. Maybe I'll try playing around with it.0 Helpful
Turned out well. Substituted goat cheese and used grapes instead of figs. Next time would have added some thingy sliced red onion also!0 Helpful
I would make this again for sure! Loved the combination in this salad. I used smoked gouda ilo smoked havarti, and pumpkin seeds instead of sunflower seeds. Delicious and EASY! As a working mom, I'm always looking for EASY meals and this fit the bill.0 Helpful
This was not for us. We did the veggie version and found the dressing to be way too smoky. If we did it again, we'd leave out the adobo sauce and use regular paprika.0 Helpful