Pork Chop and Fig Salad with baby kale / havarti / lemon adobo dressing
Figs are hard to find out of season, so we love to highlight them when the season hits. This simple entree salad lets the flavor and texture of ripe figs really shine.
Smarts: If figs are not in season where you are, halved grapes make an excellent sub.
- Pork chops, boneless - 1 lb
- Cheese, smoked Havarti - 6 oz, cubed (sub any other smoked cheese or goat cheese)
- Figs - 8, halved or quartered (sub grapes, using 4x more than listed)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby kale - 10 oz (sub any type kale, chopped)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 1 tsp (opt; usually found in a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make dressing - Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, adobo sauce, mustard, honey, and paprika. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pork chops - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cheese / Figs - Cube cheese. Slice figs in half or in quarters (if using larger figs).
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add pork chops and sear on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F / 63C degrees.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board and cover. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- While pork rests, gently toss together kale, cheese, figs, and sunflower seeds with about half of the dressing.
- Slice pork and serve on top of salad. Add additional dressing over top. Enjoy!
I loved this. Served pork chop on side. Made salad with goat cheese. It was fantastic.0 Helpful
I enjoyed the dressing and goat cheese combo I used. The figs I could take or leave, but maybe mine weren't great. I have never bought figs and I love that Cook Smarts gets me to explore new foods!0 Helpful
Fig and baby kale salad with lentils and vegan Gouda. Another salad win, 5yo ate all the dressed bowl!!!! Used tiger figs, black figs, and grapes to cover the bases. Everyone loved though I’m not sure how leftovers for lunch will be.0 Helpful
So tasty! We used smoked gouda instead of havarti and had to settle for dried figs, but the flavors were so fun. We definitely plan to make this again.0 Helpful
It was really good- I couldn’t find figs but I did find Concord grapes! The seeds were tricky to remove but I think it was worth it. Would like to try it again with figs too :)0 Helpful
This flavor profile really surprised me! I made the vegetarian version and my meat-fan husband approved and filled up! Will definitely make again.0 Helpful