Fig and Kale Salad
with lentils / avocados / havarti / lemon adobo dressing
- Cheese, smoked Havarti - 6 oz, cubed (sub any other smoked cheese or goat cheese)
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Figs - 8, halved or quartered (sub grapes, using 4x more than listed)
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 2 cups (look for vacuum-packed or canned)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby kale - 10 oz (sub any type kale, chopped)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 1 tsp (opt; usually found in a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Make dressing - Whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, adobo sauce, mustard, honey, and paprika. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Avocados / Figs - Prep as directed.
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil over medium heat. Add lentils with 1 Tbsp / 15 mL of dressing (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) and saute until lentils are warmed through.
- Gently toss together kale, avocados, cheese, figs, and lentils with remaining dressing until dressed to your liking. Top with sunflower seeds. Enjoy!
Had to sub smoked Gouda and grapes. Used pumpkin seeds since I had some already in the pantry. Everyone liked it.0 Helpful
Came together really easily. I couldn’t find baby kale so I used regular kale. I think next time I’d use spinach. Loved the grapes in the salad.0 Helpful
Pretty good for a salad!0 Helpful
No figs or smoked havarti, so went with grapes and smoked gouda. Easy and tasty.0 Helpful
The figs didn't look good so I used grapes, but it was still delicious.0 Helpful
This was delicious! I did smoked gouda as I couldn’t find smoked havarti and toasted pecans instead of sunflower seeds. I was skeptical about the flavors working together, but really enjoyed this.0 Helpful