Portobello Mushroom and Avocado Taco Salad
with honey-adobo dressing / tortilla chips
This is a new combination of flavors in a perennial favorite of the Cook Smarts community - the taco salad! This unique version is topped with portobello mushrooms and avocados and finished with a spicy and sweet dressing. Tortilla chips add great crunch - they're good crumbled over top or just served alongside the salad.
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, diced
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, sliced
- Corn kernels - 1 cup, sliced off the cob or frozen
- Lettuce - 8 oz, chopped (any crisp variety like romaine)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 4 Tbsp
- Make dressing - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, lime juice (portion for dressing), honey, adobo sauce, and cumin (portion for dressing). Add oil (portion for dressing) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Remove stems and scrape out gills. Thinly slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead.)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice off cobs. If using frozen, defrost. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan with oil (portion for salad) over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and saute until tender, ~3 minutes more.
- Stir in corn, beans, and cumin (portion for salad) and saute until fragrant and heated through. Squeeze lime juice (portion for salad) over top. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by tossing together lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, bell peppers, beans, corn, and mushrooms. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Crumble tortilla chips over the top. Enjoy!
Used 1/2 of the oil for the dressing. Enjoyed the meal.0 Helpful
Really yummy! Especially the dressing! It wasn’t greasy and had good flavor!0 Helpful
Wasn't bad but nothing special. I probably won't make this one again.0 Helpful
Portobello mushroom, avocado, and quinoa taco salad. 5yo actually ate some red pepper!! I forgot the blue chips, so it was like dessert at the end of the meal. Dressing was amazing- only it was without garlic or adobo sauce plus garam masala, 5yo was literally licking the bowl and next time I need to double it!0 Helpful
Very yummy and easy to make. Filling with lots of textures. There was something bitter about my dressing though. I think next time I’ll do a cilantro lime dressing instead.0 Helpful
Pretty easy and filling. A salad win!0 Helpful