Portobello Mushroom and Avocado Taco Salad with honey-adobo dressing / tortilla chips
This is a new combination of flavors in a perennial favorite of the Cook Smarts community - the taco salad! This unique version is topped with portobello mushrooms and avocados and finished with a spicy and sweet dressing. Tortilla chips add great crunch - they're good crumbled over top or just served alongside the salad.
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, diced
- Mushrooms, portobello - 4, sliced
- Corn kernels - 1 cup, sliced off the cob or frozen
- Lettuce - 8 oz, chopped (any crisp variety like romaine)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 4 Tbsp
- Make dressing - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, lime juice (portion for dressing), honey, adobo sauce, and cumin (portion for dressing). Add oil (portion for dressing) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Remove stems and scrape out gills. Thinly slice mushrooms. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead.)
- Corn - If using fresh corn, slice off cobs. If using frozen, defrost. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan with oil (portion for salad) over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and saute until tender, ~3 minutes more.
- Stir in corn, beans, and cumin (portion for salad) and saute until fragrant and heated through. Squeeze lime juice (portion for salad) over top. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by tossing together lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, bell peppers, beans, corn, and mushrooms. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Crumble tortilla chips over the top. Enjoy!
Wasn't bad but nothing special. I probably won't make this one again.0 Helpful
Portobello mushroom, avocado, and quinoa taco salad. 5yo actually ate some red pepper!! I forgot the blue chips, so it was like dessert at the end of the meal. Dressing was amazing- only it was without garlic or adobo sauce plus garam masala, 5yo was literally licking the bowl and next time I need to double it!0 Helpful
Very yummy and easy to make. Filling with lots of textures. There was something bitter about my dressing though. I think next time I’ll do a cilantro lime dressing instead.0 Helpful
Pretty easy and filling. A salad win!0 Helpful
Yum. That was very good.0 Helpful
Filling and tasty. Came together quickly. Nice change for a taco salad. The dressing is especially good.0 Helpful