Shrimp and Avocado Taco Saladwith honey-adobo dressing / tortilla chips
This is a new combination of flavors in a perennial favorite of the Cook Smarts community - the taco salad! This unique version is topped with shrimp and avocados and finished with a spicy and sweet dressing. Tortilla chips add great crunch - they're good crumbled over top or just served alongside the salad.
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, diced
- Lettuce - 8 oz, chopped (any crisp variety like romaine)
- Tomatoes, medium - 1, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Tortilla chips - 4 cups
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (usually found with canned chipotle peppers)
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 4 Tbsp
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and pat dry.
- Make dressing - Chop garlic. Whisk together garlic, lime juice (portion for dressing), honey, adobo sauce, and cumin (portion for dressing). Add oil (portion for dressing) while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Bell peppers - Dice bell peppers. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Tomatoes / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan with oil (portion for salad) over medium heat. Add bell peppers and saute until tender, ~3 minutes.
- To bell peppers, add shrimp with cumin (portion for salad) and saute until opaque and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in beans. Squeeze lime juice (portion for salad) over top. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Assemble salads by tossing together lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, bell peppers, beans, and shrimp. Add vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Crumble tortilla chips over the top. Enjoy!
This meal has 11 reviews
SO GOOD! Did just a half pound of shrimp (for me and two kids). Topped with sour cream and mixed it all together and they INHALED it.
quick and super tasty!
We really liked this! I made an adobo substitute using tomato paste and apple cider vinegar because I couldn’t find it at the grocery store. Turned out great. Satisfying and yummy but lighter than traditional taco salad.
Good! Tasty and filling.
I would add more adobo sauce to the dressing since we like more spice. Good, filling salad meal!