BBQ Lentil Sandwiches
with corn on the cob / tangy slaw
BBQ Lentil Sandwiches with Corn on the Cob:
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Corn - 4 ears , shucked
- Lentils, pre-cooked - 3 cups (look for vacuum-packed lentils or use canned)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- BBQ sauce - 1/2 cup
- Hamburger buns - 4
- Butter - for serving
- Shallots - 1 clove , diced
- Cabbage, green - 5 oz , very thinly sliced (sub coleslaw mix)
- Cilantro - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Shallots / Cabbage - (If prepping right before cooking, get water boiling for corn before continuing with prep.) Prep as directed. Store onions in one container. Combine shallots and cabbage in another container. (Note: If you’d like to shred the cabbage in a food processor, check out this video.) (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Corn - Shuck corn. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make slaw - Chop cilantro. Whisk together vinegar, oil (portion for slaw), and sugar. Add shallots, cabbage, and cilantro. Toss to combine. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lentils - If using canned lentils, drain and rinse.
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water for the corn to boil.
- When water is boiling, add corn and boil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While corn boils, heat a skillet with oil (portion for sandwiches) over medium heat. Add onions and saute until onions are very soft and light golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- To onions, add lentils and BBQ sauce. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes to let sauce flavor lentils. (Note: Depending on the thickness of your BBQ sauce, you may need to simmer the lentils for a few extra minutes. You want the mixture to be thick enough that it can be spooned into buns.)
- Toast buns.
- Season slaw with some salt and pepper and toss it to combine.
- Serve lentils and slaw in buns. Enjoy corn on the cob with butter and some salt.