Mixed Vegetable Hoagie Melts
and German potato salad
Loaded with veggies and with a Mediterranean twist from olives and artichoke hearts, these hoagie melts just need a couple minutes under the broiler to get melty and delicious. Serve the hoagies with a German-style potato salad that is great warm or chilled. This meal was also featured in 2017.
German Potato Salad:
- Potatoes, baby red - 1 lb (sub new potatoes)
- Celery - 1 stalk , chopped
- Shallots - 1 clove , chopped
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Mustard, use large grain mustard if you have it - 1 tsp (sub Dijon)
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Mixed Vegetable Hoagie Melts:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , sliced
- Onions, medium - 1 , sliced
- Artichoke hearts, canned - 6 oz , chopped
- Olives, any type - 1/4 cup , sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Zucchini - 12 oz , sliced into rounds
- Foil - for baking
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Hoagie buns - 4 (sub hot dog buns)
- Mayonnaise - 4 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 4 tsp
- Cheese, provolone or Swiss - 4 slices
- Bell peppers / Onions / Artichoke hearts / Olives - (If prepping right before cooking, skip to Prep Step 2 and get potatoes boiling before continuing with prep; if using the grill, get grill heating.) Prep as directed. Store peppers and onions in one container. Combine artichoke hearts and olives in a second container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Boil potatoes - Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes (depending on the size of potatoes). Drain and rinse under cool water. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Celery / Shallots / Parsley - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make potato salad - Quarter boiled potatoes. Combine with celery, shallots, parsley, olive oil, vinegar, mustard (portion for potato salad), and sugar. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice zucchini into rounds. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Turn on the oven's broiler and line a sheet pan with foil.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan with the first part of cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini slices in a single layer (do this in batches if needed) and sear until golden brown, ~3 minutes on each side. Set aside and return pan to heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then peppers and onions to heated oil. Saute until tender, ~4 minutes.
- Add artichoke hearts and olives to pan and saute until heated through. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Place hoagie buns, cut-side up on prepared sheet pan. Toast under broiler just until buns are beginning to turn golden brown, ~1 minute. (This will help prevent them from turning soggy when topped with vegetables.)
- Brush hoagies with mayonnaise and mustard (portion for hoagies). Top with cooked vegetables and finish with cheese.
- Return pan to oven and broil just until cheese melts, ~2 minutes more.
- Serve hoagies with potato salad on the side and enjoy!